chapter zero
prologue — sunsets.

‎‎

𝕾𝐔𝐍𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐒 were the warmest thing to exist. it was a beautiful way to end the day with orange hues with the reddest of the sun. every sunset was magical, no matter what.

if there was a way to describe sunset in a person, it would be l/n y/n.

y/n is a warm girl with a mix of sentiment. her sentiment was a beautiful one, seemingly the calmest of the ocean.

she was in between two personalities, having neither and both to signify who she really was. but it was known that y/n was a nonchalant girl.

it was during sunset, a calm evening, that the purple hues of the night were mixing together with the orange hues of the day. y/n was in her usual routine to walk home from school.

e/c eyes glanced at the side with the corner of her eyes, seeing someone unusual just right beside her. y/n then turned her head to the side, a tiny smile surfacing.

"hello," she said, her eyes scanning the male's uniform indicating they go to the same school.

the male glanced down at her, his face emotionless like a porcelain doll. if it weren't for the sun setting, she would've thought he was a doll carved by the hands of the angels.

he was a bonus added to the beauty of sunset.

yet he radiated a dark and closed off energy. his eyes and the glare he gave her was enough to let her know he belonged the night instead of the day.

"a man of few words. nice," y/n complimented, the male's teal eyes still glued onto her.

for some reason, he couldn't find himself to say anything. he was just letting the girl beside him talk with such gentleness that her voice was to die for.

such a calm aura she radiated that it even drew a cold person to kiss the fronts of the warm wall.

he felt safe whenever she let words slide down her tongue. her voice was like music to his ears. and her eyes could get as unfriendly as his, only to revert back to a friendly one.

"you're the soccer team captain, itoshi rin, right?" she asked.

this time, he finally averted his gaze and shut his eyes before parting his lips. "yes."

a small smile curved in her lips, "i watch the team play whenever i'm bored."

"really?" his gaze was focused up front as she followed, watching the birds fly by in a slow and calm manner. "who's your favorite player?"

"no one," she nonchalantly replied, "i'm not a fan of soccer."

he slightly frowned at the female's answers. "then why do you watch us play?"

"council work is stressful. i watch different sports teams for comfort."

"you're a student council?"

she hummed in response. y/n was only recently elected by the president to be a council member, having seen her perfect grades and the ability to solve her classmate's troubles.

it was only natural for her to be pulled into a high rank in the school.

rin had never seen her around school before. at least, not that he can remember.

she was like a phantom around the school, keeping a low profile at all times even when she became a student council. nothing could raise up her profile to the extent where she could be called 'popular'.

that was what entertained the male.

"you know my name. but i don't know yours."

"it's l/n y/n," y/n looked at rin who gave a tiny nod of acknowledgement.

it's not like he was going to remember it and care to be friends with her. his goal of living was to beat his brother in soccer. that was all there is to itoshi rin.

y/n reached her destination, stopping in her tracks, rin following. "i'll see you at school, itoshi-san," she waved at him and walked ahead of him, not even waiting for his reaction or response.

he simply watched her enter her house and disappeared from his sight. they didn't even conversed that much, but for some reason he felt so drawn to her.

rin grew to hate it.