35 - One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Ian

   "How the fuck did they manage to free him, Callum? I thought your house was fucking cloaked!" I was past the point of trying to control my temper, the frustration that followed after Nate disappeared was smothering me.

     He was finally giving us some fucking answers, answers we were in desperate need of ever since the first time we saw Megan. Revelations that proved this shitshow was deeper and way more complicated than we all assumed, and Nate was about to tell us what she was before the archangels found a way to bust him out.

     "My house is fucking cloaked, Ian." Callum glared at me, pacing back and forth in his living room while Megan and Zoey were sitting on the couch and I was standing across from them. "I'm careful enough, they weren't supposed to take him so easily. But if more than one archangel combined their powers then there isn't much any of us can do."

     "They don't want us to know what she is." Zoey spoke up, looking up at me. "Nate was talking too much and they were desperate."

     "They should be." I snorted. "Archangels dealing her blood to test whatever the fuck they want to test isn't exactly a good look."

     "And let's not forget the mutations." Callum said. "The results of these illegal tests are getting out of hand and they won't claim responsibility. More creatures will end up dead and more will be affected by her blood, even if we find a way to stop the dealers."

     Fuck.

     He was right, just because they didn't have Megan around as a supply of blood it didn't mean it was sold out in the market. We didn't know how long it took for the side effects to start showing and we truly had no idea how many creatures had consumed her blood. New mutated things could keep showing up and of course the archangels would never admit they were involved.

     They were smart to infiltrate demon territory, it was indeed easier to spread the news about the supposed angel blood and it was a trouble-free plan... no one would blame the angels because it was crazy to think they'd be dealing their own blood, and yet they managed to find willing consumers to be their lab rats.

     Why the fuck did they want to test her blood like this, though? Was it to check if it would work like regular angel blood? Or was it because of something else?

     "I'll handle it at my club." Zoey said, clearing her throat. "You said lower demons were dealing it there, I'll make sure they won't anymore. I'll get in touch with people I know and we'll get her blood out of the market."

     "What about those who already purchased it?" Callum asked, running his fingers through his white hair. "We need to find these creatures... and we need to bring this matter to the Council."

      All of us turned to look at Callum at the same time. I sure as fuck wasn't expecting to hear that, especially coming from him. I knew the situation was delicate and it didn't affect only us, it was beyond our control.

     The tension between vampires and werewolves was a pain in the ass I'd been avoiding for a while now, and letting the Council know about Megan's blood and archangels becoming drug suppliers could be our only option to get this shitstorm in check.

     But it wouldn't be fucking easy and it meant revealing Megan's existence to the world... our world. Something about that made me feel wary and I just had a bad feeling about it, I really hoped there was another way to get this done.

     If we showed the Council it wasn't the vampires' or werewolves' fault, then the trial would be canceled and all this talk of revoking the full moon pact would cease.