36 - Life Imitates Art

Megan

     "I think it's safe to say Ian won't be back soon." Zoey sounded annoyed, but it could also mean she was anxious.

     I was definitely feeling impatient myself, Ian had disappeared almost an hour ago, and still no sign of him. After he cut the palm of my hand to use my blood for tracking, he didn't say anything before simply leaving.

     Callum didn't seem bothered though, he was sitting on the couch across from me with his legs crossed and a serene countenance. He assured us Ian was probably busy killing these so-called mutated creatures, taking his time and having fun.

     I wasn't sure if 'fun' was the appropriate word, but after seeing the excitement in Ian's eyes when he was torturing Nate I was aware that maybe we had different definitions in mind.

     He seemed to be enjoying himself a little too much, and even though part of me wanted to see Nate suffering because of what he did to me, I couldn't imagine feeling any satisfaction by being the one inflicting so much pain on someone else.

     It was eerie to think that Ian's hands were dexterous for both things alike: pleasure and pain.

     He was frighteningly talented in such divergent areas and witnessing him hurting Nate with no hesitation made me think about all the good things he'd made me feel. The line between suffering and pleasure was way too thin when it came to Ian, and I had to admit it was more chilling than exciting.

     I knew I chose to be a part of this world and I had to get used to it, but it wasn't going to happen overnight.

     There was no denying that Ian's preferred method of interrogation was successful though, we finally managed to get some answers from Nate. Even though he vanished before clarifying anything else, we weren't left empty-handed this time.

     Our discoveries were unexpected and the opposite of delightful, but it was the truth. We had somewhere to start now, and I couldn't wait to get out there in the world and live my life.

     I knew I had a long way ahead before that could happen, but the first step was to stop being a secret.

     Nate didn't get a chance to tell me what I am, but what he revealed about my blood was disturbing enough. I was negatively affecting people's lives without even being in touch with them, the angels found another way to use me against my will and not worry about the consequences.

     The whole idea of being introduced to the Council was almost as scary, but we had to put an end to this. They had to pay for what they did to me, I didn't care how.

     "Do you have anywhere to be, Z?" Callum's thick accent was enough to snap me out of my thoughts.

     "I have a job to do and I have to handle the whole blood shit going on in my club." She sighed, pacing back and forth in front of the couch. "I can't just sit here and wait for Ian while I know they've been selling Megan's blood. I have to stop it."

     "You can go, I'll babysit." He smiled, winking at me. "Meggie and I have some catching up to do."

     I had no clue what he meant by that but the idea of being alone with Callum was a bit unnerving. Just because I trusted him didn't mean I felt comfortable enough to be in his presence, his red eyes were creepy and he always looked at me like he had me all figured out.

     "Ian's gonna throw a fit if he finds out I left her alone with you." Zoey rolled her eyes. "Although he also doesn't trust me around Megan anymore... but it's his own fault that he left her here with us."