1 0

(Johnny's POV)

After school, Ponyboy and I walked Cary home to get ready for work and then went to the DX to see Soda and Steve.

She looked really nice that day—she was wearing a white button-up, probably an old one of Soda's, tucked into a white pencil skirt and a khaki-colored sweater vest.

I tried to silence my feelings for her but every time I saw her my heart skipped a beat and they resurfaced.

I had hoped the guys wouldn't notice, but I had hoped in vain.

"You remember this morning when Soda asked if you had a girl?" Pony asked as we walked.

"Yeah," I groaned as I jammed my fists in my pockets.

"Well?"

I sighed loudly. "Why can't you just leave it alone?"

"'Cause I wanna know."

"I'm not telling you."

He laughed. "I think I already know who it is, anyways."

I looked at him. "No, you don't."

"Okay then. Do I know her?"

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Yeah..."

He smiled slyly. "Then I do know who it is."

I shoved him. "You do not!"

"Do too!"

"Okay then, smartie, who is it?" I asked, annoyed.

He gave me a mischievous look. "Is it Cary?"

I went silent and felt my cheeks get warm. How did he know?

"Aha!" he exclaimed triumphantly, shoving me playfully, "so it is Cary!" He shook his head, "I knew it."

"How did you know?"

"C'mon man, it's obvious."

I gulped. I could never be discreet about anything, could I?

"Seriously, how did you know?" I asked as I kicked a rock up the sidewalk.

"The way you look at her, the way you blush whenever she's around," he paused, "the way you've been so protective over her lately."

"So you want me to just let a Soc get all over her next time?"

"No, Johnny, not that," he said as he looked at me, "I'm talkin' about Curly."

I chewed my cheek again. It made me so angry to see him flirting with her. At the time I didn't know why, but now I do.

"You were so mad, Johnny. More mad than I've ever seen you," Pony continued.

"You were too."

"Not as much as you."

"She was uncomfortable, Pony."

He sighed. "Johnny..."

I clenched my jaw, angry at myself. The last thing I wanted was for anyone to know about my feelings towards Cary. And now her brother knew.

"Why don't you just ask her out?"

I whipped around to face him, astonished. "You want me to ask her out?"

"Yeah, why not? You like her, don't you?"

"Yeah, but what about Soda and Darry? Oh, especially Darry, " I groaned, "he'd kill me."

Pony just looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile. "If he wanted anyone to be with her, it would be you."

"Yeah, if," I said, rolling my eyes.