9. Grandma all along

The steps got closer. We all turned to look at the end of the hall where the sound came. A old lady walked towards us. Who is she and what is she going here?

"Grandmother" Tewks said.

So this old lady was his grandmother. How nice.

She walked towards us but stopped in front of the rifle.

"I'm afraid so" she said.

"If you want the job done you have to do it yourself"

I just stood there for a while, not long.
Then the pieces start to get together.
She was here to kill Tewks. And at the same time probably all of us.

She picked up the rifle.

"Where's my mother?"

"In london with your uncle"

"Looking for you"

Those words hit me a bit. His mom has to be terrified. She walked towards us. We all were scared. I stood behind Enola and Tewks and started taking little steps away from them.

"They never understood"

"I'm so sorry darling"

Understood what? Well thats least of my concerns.

"The future of the country is at stake"

Well thats answers my question.

She lifted the rifle.

"NOOO!"

A gunshot. Tewks fell to the ground. I couldn't believe my eyes. His Grandma looked devastated. Enola ran over to her. She tried to soot Enola. The rifle was empty. Thankfully. Enola took slowly the rifle out of her hand.

"Its done" The old lady said.

"I-its done" she said again.

I just stood there looking at Tewks body. I felt bad. I felt like a coward, I didn't do anything, I didn't help and played passed out so nobody would hurt me. Well I punched that first man but it really didn't help.

Enola ran to Tewks.

"TEWKESBURY"

"TEWKESBURY NO"

She was on top of him. Crying and sobbing. Trying to get him to wake up.

"Wake up, wake up please!"

That old lady stood there and watched. I couldn't believe that someone would do that to Tewks. Well I didn't know him well but he seems to be nice

Enola holds Tewks hand. And slowly his finger started to move. I must be seeing something very wrong. I must be in shock. He died!

Enola seems to notice the same thing. She lifts her head.

"Tewkesbury?" she whispers.

Tewkesbury grunts and rises to sit.

"Be careful"

A gasp escapes Tewks grandma's mouth.

"I'm not entirely an idiot, you know" he said and opened his shirt a bit. There it was a piece of cest armor. The bullets had hit it and saved Tewkesbury.

"You were meant to fight" he said to Enola.

Aww young love is so sweet. Well I was only 4 years older that Enola but still.

Tewks rises and trows the armor to floor. That made me flinch a bit. Enola stood up.

"Your time is over"

The grandma seemed devastated, sad, full of anger, she had failed.

We left, informed to the police about it. The police arrested her. That trip was crazy. But I'm glad everybody got out alive.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting in my home. Yesterday was scary and full of action and everything I needed was good night sleep. I haven't slept in a while. I closed my eyes.

I had offered Enola to stay at my house. She accepted the offer and said to come tomorrow. Now I have time to sleep. I also had gotten money from the police as we solved the case and that was enough to live.

I went to the cafe at morning and told them why I wasn't in work and why I'm not coming back. They thankfully let me come back if I needed to.

I got my little paycheck from that one day I was at work. I chuckled a bit. What a day..