Chapter 1: The Old Net (Act 1)

Fourteen years later, 2168

I missed again.

I clutched harder this time and forcefully tossed the patchy net again. The net pulled forward but folded at the last turn. I didn't let it ride with the breeze. Too much force.

Dumb move.

I whipped my now soaking wet hair-tail to my other shoulder and straightened my back. My digits clutched the scratchy ropes and then quickly swung it again. The net flopped helplessly in the water.

I angrily hissed.

Maybe my stance must be tweaked. I shifted my shoulders and spread my knees slightly apart, staying low to the sweeping midnight water.

"One...two-" I began to count, inching closer to my next throw.

"Kaia, what are you doing out so late?" Tsireya unknowingly interrupted as she curiously swam over to me, her tail gently splashing against the waves.

I shifted my hips to face her glowing face and pulled my empty net back in, slightly hoping she didn't see me in my humorous primitive position.

"I'm practicing"  I dryly responded and threw the net out again, it only reached two feet. I hissed in annoyance.

"But there's no fish out during eclipse." Tsireya sarcastically chuckled and stood up, revealing her top adorned with shimmering shells.

It was a stark contrast to my webbed and patchy top, which more resembled the very fish net I was throwing.

"I'm aware. I'm just practicing my throw." I explained "I made a mistake earlier."

Tsireya shook her head in amusement.

"What mistake? I was with you the whole time. You did a great job, especially considering it was your first time." She assured as she caught sight of my sore calloused hands, letting out a concerned sigh.

I shook my head "No. I didn't bring enough in. I needed to fix my form."

"You know, this isn't the first time I've caught you out here, Kaia." Tsireya swam closer to the net, lightly splashing me in the process as she picked it up.

"Last week it was your harpoon aim when you missed one shot and then when you missed a lyric in the Ocean's choir at Calori's funeral and then again when you tripped during at a sparring practice..." she listed with a playful disposition, flopping the net around as she gestured.

"No, I didn't trip. Worse, I fell over." I corrected pulling the net back.

"I'm never going to be named head-hunter if I keep making stupid mistakes." I bluntly emphasized "You know how picky Rimlo is."

Tsireya kept her gaze fixated on me and gave me a contemplative look.

"What if because I didn't bring it that net of fish, someone's children will die of starvation?" I dryly speculated with wide eyes.

My fellow ocean colored sister then raised her brow at my hyperbolic speculation.

"I'm a failure." I concluded. Tsireya snickered.

"Head-hunters aren't failures." I reaffirmed.

Tsireya softly giggled again "Kaia, you think too much." She said as she gently gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Even head-hunters have to rest." She reasoned, sentiment added to her words by the motherly croon in her voice.

Even though she was a year younger than me and slightly taller, she seemed to be able to read me very well.  A little too well sometimes. I haven't figure out if she speaks with me because our fathers are best friends, out of pity or because she's bored.