Chapter 10: The Broken Kayak

"You want to volunteer for...Kayak building?" Rimlo asked, with an expression completely drenched in confusion.

I nodded my head with a firm look and determined fists. Rimlo looked unsure as he continued sharpening his spear.

"Yes, sir. I would like to make up for my mistake at three brother's rock. I realize that I lost your trust in my abilities and I'll take any job to make up for it." I confirmed.

Eyes still on the spear, Rimlo gave me a curious side-eye "And how will Kayak building help you to regain my trust?" He pondered.

"Craftsmen-ship requieres much focus and intellect." I relayed "Learning to train my hands will benefit me...please." I ended, sounding a little desperate.

Rimlo let out a long sigh "Listen Kaia, I understand you want to better your skills, but don't you think taking another responsibility is foolish?" He reasoned "You're already committed to nine jobs a day, along with training the others as well as your own training. Is it really a good idea to add more to your plate?"

I profusely shook my head "I can handle it." I assured "I've ran those jobs for the last seven years, rarely with a mistake. I want to do more for this clan."

Rimlo raised his brown suspiciously "This wouldn't have anything to do with the tricktayö you and Neteyam have begun, does it?"

I gulped slightly in surprise. I wasn't aware that he knew about that. Dumb logic, its been days since then and me and Neteyam had engaged in so many stupid competitions against each other.

"No sir, I assure you the tricktayö is a personal matter." I assured "This is to makeup for my mistake during the Akula attack."

Rimlo fixated his eyes on me for a few seconds more, his tattoo lightly shinning in the sunlight.

He closed his eyes and nodded "Very well." He agreed "Report to southern reef coast for instructions tomorrow morning."

I dipped my head in respect "Thank you, sir."

"Kaia" Rimlo called out before I fully stepped out of his mauri. He set his spear down and slowly made his way towards me, staring pensively at my wide eyes.

"Don't let whatever or whoever you're trying to prove yourself to make you act foolishly. I never knew you to be an overly emotional girl which is why I was very disappointed to hear about your rash decision regarding starting a tricktayö with a...foreigner."

"I'm sorry-"

"I didn't give you permission to speak." Rimlo sharply exhaled, a pinch of anger to his voice "I selected you as a hunter because I saw a level-headed girl, not a prideful child trying to fulfill an immature need for glory."

He was wrong. They all were. That's what they all assumed the reason I did everything was for. "You're a glory-hog" and "Youre just trying to appeal to the Olo'ektan" stupid things. My stomach churned, but I dare not speak.

"Don't. Make. Me. Regret. My decision." He spat out, face close to my ear.

I nodded shakily "Yes, sir."

He stood back "Your dismissed."

—————————-

Basket weaving, blade sharpening, mauri and jetty port repairs, saddle making, fishing, hunting, singing, gutting, washing clothes, sewing, sail repairs, cooking and cleaning. I had done many different kinds of jobs over the years all varying in difficulty and time consumption. Kaya building was the most taxing.

When I first began my job hunt at the ripe old age of six years old, it was Kayak building that took up too much time and would be unethical considering my goal was to take on as many jobs as I could to...we'll just say be of use. I reasoned it would be unwise to take on so many long term projects.