Chapter 22: The Thoughtful "Enemy"

(Photo from @cintrix on tumblr)

I'm sure you've gathered this by now, my head is constantly teaming with thoughts. There's never an empty moment within my temples. This current moment was no exception. Only this time riddles with questions.

What had he seen? What had he inferred? Who had he told? Did his parents know? Will this be used as blackmail? Will he use it against Neteyam? Was he ever going to tell me he saw?

What would father say?

I merely gulped. Desperately trying to hide the embarrassment rushing to my cheeks but failing miserably.

There was no lying my way out of this. What excuse could you possibly have to be caught nearly kissing someone? I contemplated staging it as an accident. I merely fell into his face and arms as we were platonically walked to his house.

Yeah, maybe not. Perhaps it was a very welcomed misunderstanding that was happening and he hadn't saw what i thought he saw. I was praying

"What do you..." I cautiously questioned.

"You know what I mean. Come on." Aunnong groaned.

I was incorrect. Shit.

"Ah...I...I'm..." I nervously stammered. Aunnong, I'm sorry you saw that but please-"

"Kaia, don't worry about it. I won't tell." Aunnong interrupted rolling his eyes.

I stared with pleading eyes now turned confused.

"What?" I questioned, not fully believing that although he was capable of apologizing, he'd be capable of minding his own business.

"I'm not going to tell your dad." Aunnong further personally reassured.

"Why?" I asked, making my way towards him.

"Firstly, I don't want to make it my problem. Secondly, that's just plain weird for me to spread." Aunnong gagged.

I then realized that he definitely must've seen everything. I cringed slightly as I shook my head.

"Plus..." He hesitantly continued "You've got a decent head on your shoulders. So I'm going to believe you'll make the right decision on your own."

Aunnong nodded his head and began to make a slow exit out of the jetty port. I thought the tension had finally been cut after all these years and it was but that final sentence irked me.

"The right decision." I echoed, to which Aunnong stopped "And what exactly would a right decision look like to you?"

Aunnong was pensive as his ears flared downwards. A defensive position that was telltale of his true response rather than the one he ended up giving.

"Look just...remember. They were running away from something for a reason." He responded, head still facing the doorway "It's not really a good idea to be so involved with them. Who knows what kind of target they have on their backs."

He turned around with a serious face and ears still flared.

"You don't fraternize with the enemy." He emphasized.

"Aunnong." I inched closer "but they aren't the enemy." I then iterated.

Aunnong furrowed his brows.

"I know that." He begrudgingly admitted "But just think of who exactly is after them. Have you ever even asked him why they even came here in the first place?"