Eight Summers Ago

As the car drove through the campsite I couldn't help but gaze out the window. The world outside was breathtaking. The colors and sounds were magical. Even the smells felt utterly surreal. When I opened the car door my feet made a loud crunch that echoed off the surrounding trees. I drew in a breath. The smell was overwhelming. The potent smell of woody campfires, fresh fir trees, and salty lakes invaded my senses. It was a combination I had never smelt before, but I loved it. It was warm, earthy and reassuring.

Shortly after we got the bikes out of the trunk, my father sent me and my younger brother to explore the campground while he set up. Apparently he needed peace and quiet. Don't ask me. I have no idea. How does quietness impact the ability to pitch a tent? Beats me.

I didn't think too much about it and followed my brother. However, before my brother and I headed off, I quickly scribbled the name of our campsite, P4, on my wrist with my favourite blue ballpoint pen because not only am I helpless with directions, but knowing me, I will definitely get lost.

At least knowing where the campsite is will give me some direction, if that, I hoped.

"Charlotte, can we play hide and seek?" My brother asked, tugging loosely on the hem of my tie dyed cotton shorts.

"But what if we get lost?" I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "Wouldn't it be best to stick together? Besides, you know how bad I am at directions."

"No, no, no! Let's play hide and seek," my brother begged and his voice rose three octaves. "I promise it'll be really, really, really, really, fun."

"Okay, fine," I gave in. My brother was only six but I knew he knew the campground like the back of his hand. I think back to the map my father showed me a couple weeks ago. The campground isn't that large so I conceded and began to count.

My brother expelled a high shrill laugh. He had always liked hide-and-seek. It was his whole personality. I could hear him pick up his bike and ride down along the gravel pathway that connected all the campsites to one another. I continued counting, keeping my eyes shut. When I reached sixty, I opened my eyes and ran down the same path my brother was on mere moments ago.

While time dragged on, I ran down the various gravel pathways and all the way through the campground's forest. The forest was oak brown and primitive. The grasses I stepped on were crackly beneath my feet because of the recent dry spell. I was in awe of the sizes and majesty of the trees. Their knotted arms rose ever upwards, as far as my head could lift. They were hoary fortresses that stood proudly.

After twenty minutes I still couldn't find my brother. Drawing in a deep breath I decided to try and make my way back to our campsite. We had started the game thirty minutes ago, so maybe my brother went back to camp. I hoped he would have done the rational thing and gone back to camp. I sucked in a breath and tried to recognize my immediate surroundings.

Finding my way back by myself took an eternity. I ached to get back to my tent and my squishy inflatable bed; until all my emotions were engulfed with panic when I saw something furry coming toward me.

What if it is a bear?

I held my breath and resisted the urge to scream.

It was a squirrel, which scampered up a tree and out of sight.

Phew.

My eyes followed the squirrel when I noticed a dusty path, hidden under the fallen leaves.

It might just lead me to my campsite.

Excitement and anxiety flooded through me whilst a thousand thoughts raced rampant through my mind.