Chapter Twelve

We arrive back at basecamp just as my sister's watch changes from seven twenty-nine to seven-thirty. Nathan saunters in ten minutes late but no one says anything nor does he look at me. Instead, he joins my brother at the border where the water meets the sand and they skip rocks with one another while I walk down the beach, watching the resplendent sunset with an unwavering gaze. The sun shines crimson and saffron, and the sky embraces it gracefully like an everlasting union of two love souls.

My mind wanders back to the events that happened less than an hour ago.

I can't believe I kissed some random guy that I had a conversation with for all of three minutes. I have to admit though, it was nice. It felt like old times with Nathan. Oh goodness, what is wrong with me? I'm holding onto this idea of Nathan that I want back so badly. Maybe it would have been better if I stayed home again.

I don't know what to do.

As I sit down relishing the solitude for time-being, I feel the crimson rays of sun kissing my face and arms, laminating me with its warmth. The cool summer breeze which is pregnant with the smell of sea-salt satiates my soul like a honey-bee finding an indefectible dandelion flower. The sea glistens like an emerald refreshing my memory of the day spent trekking in the dense forest of Willow Tree Park.

When I gaze at the harmonious waves, I have a transcendental experience of life itself. For the first time in a long while, I feel one with my soul. I feel free as I look at the crepuscular rays shading the atmosphere. The serene and content ambience reminds me of the prince finally meeting Rapunzel after years of wandering in the forest. The symphony of nature slowly reaches its epilogue as the twilight dawns before me, giving me an epiphany of taking a break and reminding me to unwind myself, after toiling away all day long.

After we all eat a large dinner of barbecued chicken and corn, the dads go into the forest and grab some small logs. When they come back after their third trip out, there is enough makeshift fire wood to start a small fire just as the sun slips behind the horizon.

The fire crackles, and in the quiet chill of the night, Andrew leans forward, grinning wickedly. "The sun has set, the waves are crashing against the shore and there is a creepy, dark forest behind us," he says. "So you know what that sounds like to me? It sounds like it's a good night for ghost stories!"

"Hell yeah!" We all agree enthusiastically, except for George who rolls his eyes and shoves a marshmallow into his mouth.

"You don't have shit to say, you just make it up." Jason snorts loudly from across the fire. "You can barely string words together on a good day, George, I'd like to see you do better." Jason snaps his teeth together to emphasize his point.

Next to him, George pulls his hand back from resting on the side of his chair. "You are full of shit Jason," he says good-naturedly. "I guess you don't wanna hear about the real reason I joined the rugby team then."

Everyone burst out laughing. The dads, especially George and Jason were drunk and I know things are about to get heated but hilarious at the same time.

"The real reason is-," George says flatly.

"You mean you didn't get fucken swept up in fake ideals of patriotism like sad boy over here?" my father asks, laughing as he jabs a thumb in Andrew's direction. "And then get a harsh wakeup call on day one of boot camp?"

"Fuck off," Andrew laughs throwing his head back.

"Can we just start the ghost stories?" Luke asks from his blanket on the sand. "No one wants to hear all this."

"Yes of course we can," Michael says, throwing playful glares at the others, "Anyone want to start?"

"Well, my family's haunted." George pipes up, but, just as the words leave his mouth, Andrew slaps him on the back of his head.