Chapter Ten

For the first time in years I wake up just as the sun rises from the east. I snuggle into my sleeping bag and lazily grab my phone from where it rests on the side netting of the tent. When I click the home button to turn on the time shows 5:36 am. I grunt, folding my arm to cover my eyes. There is no use going back to sleep since my body is fully awake. As quietly as I can, I sneak out of the tent and zip it back up, leaving the rest of my family sleeping in peace. I tug my sweatshirt over my head and head toward the bathroom.

When I get back from the washroom I lift the cooler open, which lies at the end of the table and take out a water bottle and a cherry yogurt. I open the bottle of water and take my morning pills before quickly eating the yogurt. I throw the yogurt container into the recycling bin before grabbing my manuscript once more. I turn to the page where I left off yesterday before getting to work.

The morning hums of the wind and the songs the birds fill my ears as I work on my manuscript. This is the perfect way to spend the wee hours of the morning; writing and being one with nature. I am so in tune that I don't hear my father as he stumbles out of the tent a few hours later.

"Good morning sweetheart," he yawns as he takes a seat in front of me. "What are you working on this morning?"

"My manuscript," I reply, putting my pen down on the table. "Do you want something? Coffee? Tea? I can make you something-" I go to stand but my vision becomes blurry. I place a hand to my forehead and stumble back into my seat.

"That's alright Lottie, I'll go. It'll give your old man something to do. Would you like some tea while I get the water?"

I considered the offer for a quick second before shaking my head. Truth be told, it was the first time I didn't feel like drinking my earl grey tea in the morning.

Today must be a day of firsts, I think, pushing the words of Dr. Brentstone down below me. When your body begins to shut down you might experience some changes in your sleep schedule or your eating and drinking habits. I am sorry there is nothing we can do to stop these symptoms- "No, I think I am alright for a minute, thanks though dad."

My father nods and hobbles off to grab some water to heat for his tea. I turn my attention to my manuscript yet I don't feel like editing anymore. I push my manuscript to the far end of the table and take a few deep breaths. When my father returns I watch him heat the water, fill his cup with it once it begins to bubble, and put the tea bag into the mug.

"So," I begin, "what do we have planned today?"

A wide smile grows on my fathers dreary face. "We are planning on going to the cliffs when everyone is up. We'll have lunch down there and then come back up in the late afternoon."

"That sounds delightful," I reply and my eyes light up momentarily as memories from years ago cloud my mind.

"Speaking of the cliffs," my father leaned his head in his hands. "Are you going to jump The Rock this year?"

The Rock is the highest cliff jumping point available in all of Willow Tree Provincial Park. It is at least fifty feet tall with an intimidating plummet. I am the last James to face The Rock. Heights was never my thing, and for years I had gotten away with jumping off the little cliffs. This year was different though, for a variety of reasons and I am determined to face The Rock.

"Yeah, I think I'll do it," I nod and take a sip from my half empty water bottle.

"Really? That's awesome Lottie! I knew you would come around eventually."

After the end of our conversation, everyone somehow simultaneously woke up. Simon makes some bacon and omelets for breakfast. I enjoy half a cheese omelet before sneakily slipping the rest of it into the garbage bin. It scares me how drastically my appetite has disappeared. Without the cancer, I would have had at least two omelets, but now I can barely stomach one.