Chapter Nineteen

Thinking about it, I can't exactly recall how it happened. I have become so used to the anticipation of landing myself in unusual yet exciting situations when hanging out with Nathan that everything seems different in a way now. Since Nathan and I have acknowledged our past and grown past the incident, I am genuinely having a perfect time and feeling down when the day is done because I never want it to end.

I finally reconnect with the Nathan of my past and I can't help but feel lighter, free, even. Some of our adventures are randomly bizarre, sometimes edging on the danger of getting hurt, but usually they are plain fun. Nathan, as much as I hate to admit it, is honestly a fun person. You never know what to expect when you are hanging out with Nathan. He can turn normal get-togethers into exciting adventures, gifting me and the rest of our group of camping friends with happy memories of crazy day trips and long nights out.

But this is different.

It is the golden hour and as the sun dips below the horizon, the fleeting colors of dusk begin to fade away. The charcoal-black rocks circle around small pools of water, shimmering confidently before dark falls upon them.

To my surprise, Nathan, Lizzie, Roman, and Luke had decided to have my birthday come early this year and do a bunch of exhilarating things back to back for three days straight. Yesterday, Nathan unconsciously started it off after he made me hot chocolate at three in the morning. Tonight, however, we had decided to do a night hike through the woods and up one of the smaller mountains that surround the park. When the blue eyed idiot, more commonly known as Nathan, had mocked me for not being fast enough, and not having enough stamina to make it to the top, I had started chasing him through the woods, not giving a single thought about where we were going. We ran for what felt like hours, laughing the entire way. Then, as the trees began to thin out, we found a lake. A hidden gem in the depths of darkness. It was quiet and beautiful, stars covering the midnight sky, the moon bathing everything in its milky light.

Nathan and I collapse on the sandy surface, our chests rising and falling in a furious tempo from the adrenaline pulsing through our body. We watch the sun set in silence, its rays glistening on the calm water. As my breath slowly returns to normal I glance over to Nathan to see him already staring at me.

"What?" I ask, my lips quirking into a small smile.

"Nothing," Nathan replies quietly.

"Oh come on," I said while sitting up. I move my legs so I can hug them close to my chest. "What is on your mind?"

"You."

"Me?" I laugh. "And why would I be on your mind?"

"Maybe because I want something that only you can give me?"

"And what would that be?" I tease, a devilish smirk playing on my lips.

As soon as the words leave my lips, he leans in and captures my lips with his own. Nathan's hands gently cup my face as our lips meet in a fiery kiss. My heart races as I feel his breath mingling with mine, our bodies pressed together in an electric embrace.

The world fades away as we lose ourselves in the moment, our bodies moving as one. His lips trail down my neck, leaving a trail of hot kisses in their wake. I moan softly as his hands explore my body, every touch sending shivers down my spine. As we pull away, breathless and panting, he looks deep into my eyes.

"I need you," he whispers, his voice husky with desire. "I need you more than anything."

In that moment, I knew that I want him just as badly. Our lips meet again, the fire between us igniting once more. And as we give in to the passion that has been building between us, I know that nothing else in the world matters but this moment, this kiss, and the love that we share.