24

I never thought I'd be able to relate to aquarium fish. I never even thought that would be a comparison I'd have the imagination or the incentive to make, but when life hands me lemons I apparently start thinking of enclosed aquatic creatures.

I could relate to them though - aquarium fish. Specifically those in very public aquariums, like at the dentist's office or at the mall, or a restaurant- a very public, very well known restaurant where celebrity fish go on outings because they have a secret they don't want people to know so they hide it behind making another secret public, pretending like they don't notice the flashes of cameras and the knocks on the glass from the curious people on the outside of the aquarium, trying to pretend they were just fish in love, when in fact they are so much more.

"You're gonna have the fish?"

"What?" His words knocked me out of my thoughts and my eyes focused on the menu in front of me.

"You've been thinking about fish for the past five minutes, is that what you want? The waiter is about to come over.." Yoongi has this crooked smile resting on his lips, obviously endeared by my lack of comprehension and probably a little amused at catching me mid brain melt.

We were at a fancy place, I'd be aware of that even if there weren't guards at the door who made sure no one without a reservation got past them and people hired specifically to watch over our coats. It was painfully obvious, the menu had three options and no prices, the designer brand napkins on the table, the waiters who only came over when you needed them and not every five seconds to win another dollar tip. We only got a table here because the company name-dropped Yoongi when they tried to forego the reservation list, which proved to be an efficient tactic.

I did end up getting the fish, but I could barely eat any, too preoccupied with trying to ignore everything going on around me. I knew we were supposed to be seen, we were there to silence the rumors, place the relationship out in the open so that people would talk about it in front of us instead of behind our backs, and of course to make people stop digging.

And it was somewhat refreshing, being out in public with Yoongi, no masks, no hiding. Being able to hold his hand when I wanted to and happily eating from his fork when he tells me to taste something. It felt as close to normal as it could get with him in public knowing his social status.

"They asked me to write a song about you, did I tell you that?"

I giggled, my breath a little stuttery from how my brain never will get used to my soulmate being my idol.

"They want me to write about my soulmate, make it official that way, but I don't know..."

"BTS already have a soulmate song though" I hummed, my fingers reaching for Yoongi's hand to entwine themselves between his.

Yoongi chuckled a low laugh.

"Yeah I can't fucking believe Park fucking Jimin made a love song, openly labelling Taehyung as his soulmate, and the company lets him get away with it because he calls the song "Friends"."

"Hold up an umbrella and call it a bat and someone will try to hit a ball with it."

He hummed in agreement, his mouth resting in a soft kiss on my knuckles, pulling my arm closer to him over the table.

"There are a lot of rumors circling because of that song though, I've seen it a lot, people shipping Taehyung and Jimin to be soulmates. Oftentimes Jungkook is included as well. The edits are always very cute."

"The edits?"

"Yeah, you know, the videos fans make where they edit clips of you or your music to fit what they're trying to convey. Surely you've seen a few."