letter from the editor

aka letter from the author

Hi!!! If you aren't coming from the original version of Midnight Love, welcome! For all of my lovely returning readers, thank you for joining me again on this journey. Your support on this story has seriously meant the world to me, I love you all so dearly.

For everyone new please read : I am the original author of the story Midnight Love. Riley Carrera (my queen) is an original character I created. I say this now in hopes I don't see any comments saying, "This girl copied Midnight Love." That is the point of this edited version.

I've decided to edit Midnight Love solely so I can give you guys season 2 and 3, as I know you have all been begging me for. I am so sorry that it's taken me this long to get to it. I never felt like I could continue the story because I didn't love how I wrote season 1. My writing when Outer Banks first came out was very different than how I write now; just to give some context I was writing chapters in 30 minutes and publishing them unedited (multiple in a day).

There were some issues in the plot that I either don't enjoy or don't feel comfortable with now. I also despise that I wrote in all lowercase (this will seriously haunt me forever). This all being said, I felt that I needed to make some minor changes to the plot, fix up the writing a bit, and write with proper capitalization to be able to continue the story and give you a season 2 and 3.

I will point out that I don't plan to add a lot more detail; rewriting Midnight Love how I truly write today would take me months to do, and I want to get this out to all of you as soon as possible. I say this only to warn you to not set your expectations high, there will not be new jaw-dropping, beautiful writing to be read.

However, if I'm being honest I've always enjoyed the simplicity in OBX fan fiction, I mean we've all seen the show before, that's why we're here reading fan fiction. I don't think we need 1,000-word spiels on the Kooks and the Pogues, the Chateau, the Boneyard, etc. Hope you all can understand this and appreciate it, even just a little!

If you're a re-reader I wanted to include a brief summary of the changes in the plot you can expect so you aren't totally confused when reading and realize that some things are missing or have changed.

1. I no longer feel comfortable including the plot about Riley's SA. Therefore I've decided to cut that out, which I would say is the most major change. Her fear of storms then, obviously, will be similarly cut out of the story.

2. Kiara won't be as hate-able (I think). Trust me, I think you're still going to dislike her, and you might still think she's just as hate-able as she was in the original version. Really, I just think I just made her too much of a bitch and in the end, had her kind of randomly switch up so fast (as you all have so kindly made sure to tell me in the comments; don't worry your feedback is truly appreciated and helps me so much). I have hopes that her character development will be smoother and the twin's relationship will still be pretty bad but not as rocky.

3. JJ and Riley won't have any super gushy, lovey-dovey scenes together. I think I just realized that it's not in JJ's personality, at least in s1, to act that way. It doesn't match up with his character and so I'm rewriting how they share their emotions and affections. I promise it will still be good and cute but it's going to be an even more slow burn this time. (It will be worth it!!)

4. This is going to be a big deal for a lot of y'all (especially to everyone who has left hundreds and hundreds of comments telling me I've robbed them)... I'm going to try and include smut. I've reached out to another writer to help me because I can not write smut for the life of me. As long as everything works out, meaning myself and the other writer can get a good collaboration going, you should see smut in this version.

5. Lastly, I decided to change Riley's face claim! Instead of Khadijha Red Thunder (who I still adore and think is so incredibly beautiful), I've decided to cast Samantha Logan as Riley.  I personally think she resembles Madison Bailey's (Kiara's) features more and is a more accurate 'twin.' I also think that she presents a younger energy to Riley which I think is necessary considering everyone is playing 16-year-olds. Personally, I just think she is exactly how I've always envisioned Riley.

To everyone that has come from the original story, I seriously could not appreciate you more. You all make me feel so special and loved. This rewrite would not be possible without your constant support so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

To all of my new readers, I am so so glad to have you here! Feeling so giddy that some of you will get to experience this story for the first time the way I really want you to. I hope you love Riley as much as I've loved getting to create her character

dedicated to

all of the readers from the og midnight love
this rewrite would not exist w/o you
thank you for all of your support<3

&

fathersia

always thankful that OBX gave me
a best friend for life <3