006

The Pogues were huddled inside the chicken coop, all raggedly breathing, Kiara and John B near tears, Pope trembling, and JJ holding a, now deceased, chicken in his hands

The Pogues were huddled inside the chicken coop, all raggedly breathing, Kiara and John B near tears, Pope trembling, and JJ holding a, now deceased, chicken in his hands. The two men that had chased them in the marsh just a day before had come to John B's house, raided it, in fact, and nearly caught them in hiding.

"So um," JJ cleared his throat, "what- what do we do now?"

John B shook his head, trying to regain his thoughts and bring himself out of a state of shock. He glanced over at Pope who just stared at the ground, refraining from giving him any sort of assurance that they were okay now.

"We can't stay here," Pope mumbled.

"Where the hell are we supposed to go?" John B asked, his voice hoarse.

"John B," JJ began, "they're gonna be looking for you, bro."

Pope nodded. "We gotta hide out somewhere. At least for a few hours while we know they're still on like, this hunt or whatever. What do you even think they were looking for?"

"Doesn't matter," John B said. "Pope, can we go to your house?"

"Hell no." Pope shook his head. "My pops is still mad as hell from the other day when I got on the boat with you guys."

"Kie?" John B looked over to the girl who was wiping a tear from her cheek, her eyes still trained on the lifeless chicken laying beside JJ.

"I-I don't-" Kiara stumbled over her words, barely able to think straight.

"Please," John B pleaded, giving her a look of hopelessness. There were countless reasons why it wasn't a good idea: Kiara's parents didn't particularly like the boys, they were at risk of questioning why they were all shaken up, and worst of all, there was a risk Kiara's sister might be there.

"Okay," Kiara muttered before crawling out to exit the chicken coop. The crew hesitantly made their way over to the van and piled in. They drove to the Carrera's house in complete silence.

"My parents aren't here, they're both at the restaurant," Kie said as the four of them approached her front door. "I'm not sure about...." the girl's voice trailed off when she saw her sister sitting at the kitchen counter with Sarah Cameron, "Riley."

Riley turned at the sound of her name being spoken only to be met with the narrowed eyes of her sister and the fearful eyes of the boys behind her. "What are you doing here?"

Sarah sat beside her looking at the floor in silence. She hated watching Kiara and Riley interact as it was never a pleasant interaction. Sometimes she felt like the cause of their terrible relationship had been her.

"I live here?" Kiara snapped. Riley got up from her chair and grabbed Kiara's arm, dragging her over just feet away from the kitchen and into the foyer. Kiara scoffed and shrugged her sister's hold off.

"I mean," Riley started, "what are you doing here with them?"

"They're my friends," Kiara scoffed. "You have a friend over, don't you?"

Riley rolled her eyes at her twin's tone, she knew how much Kiara hated Sarah. She looked back to the kitchen where Sarah sat, still studying the ground in silence, and all three boys were exchanging weary glances.

"Why do you all look like you've seen a ghost?" Riley asked her sister. "Why are your eyes red? Were you crying?" she scanned over her sister's face, concerned at her red cheeks and tear-stained flesh.

"We're fine," Kiara stated, tersely, walking back over to where the boys stood.

Riley narrowed her eyes at her sister but chose not to say anything. She didn't want anything to be brought up, especially after her interaction with John B the day before. And she didn't have the energy to make even the slightest small talk with the Pogues.

"Let's go to the patio," she mumbled to Sarah and they quickly escaped the awkward tension flooding the house. They made their way out to the couches and each took a seat. "It looked like something was wrong, right? I wasn't just seeing things?"

"No yeah they all looked..." Sarah trailed off, looking back through the glass doors into the kitchen where the Pogues all sat at the kitchen table, "... shaken up or something."

"And she rarely ever brings them here," Riley said. "Honestly, like never."

"Yeah I was surprised," Sarah said. "But I know she doesn't like me in this house either."

"She's just a bitch," Riley said. "I mean seriously, the other night she told me to stay away from her friends and then she just brings them here." Sarah looked down at her hands, not saying anything but a small smile started to spread across her lips. "What?" Riley pressed.

"I just..." Sarah stopped herself, letting out a little giggle and covering her growing smile with her hand. "I can't believe you slept with him."

Riley's eyes widened and she immediately shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Jesus Sarah, say it louder, why don't you?" Sarah bit at her lip and began to giggle again. "Seriously stop it. And stop glancing at the door. I know you're looking at them."

The two continued to chat, trying to tune out the loud voices and laughter now coming from the kitchen. "Dude you're still staring!" Riley finally exclaimed after Sarah's eyes had flicked beyond her and towards the patio door for the tenth time in what felt like five minutes. "Wait..." Riley began to smile teasingly, "are you looking at John B?"

Sarah scoffed. "What? No. I'm not looking at anyone."

"Right," Riley said. "Like I couldn't feel the sparks between you two when he leaned in real close to your face yesterday on the boat."

"Shut up there were no sparks," Sarah quickly muttered, rejecting the idea.

"You're blushing," Riley teased.

"No, I'm not!" Sarah said, pushing at the girl's leg with her foot, both the girls erupting in a fit of laughter. "You know you don't have any room to talk."

"Hm?"

"The blonde one's staring at you," Sarah whispered.

Riley turned her head instantly, looking through the glass doors that made up the wall separating the kitchen from the patio, and she locked eyes with JJ. He immediately diverted his gaze and transferred his attention back to John B.

"Stupid Pogues," Riley scoffed, turning back to Sarah.

"You sound more and more like Topper every day," Sarah sighed, resting her chin in her hand, her elbow propped on the back of the couch.

"What? You seriously want there to be like some civilness or something?" Riley mocked.

"I mean..." Sarah began but let her voice trail off.

"Listen," Riley started, "you'd think real differently if you lived with one."