016

"Can't sleep?"

"Can't sleep?"

Riley jumped at the sound of a voice behind her. It was well past midnight and she was sitting on the back porch, gazing out into the water, letting her thoughts wander. The high had faded a while ago and she had been left with the same stubborn thoughts as she'd been pressed with before.

Riley turned around as JJ shut the door behind him before inviting himself onto the couch she sat on. She stared at him with wide eyes, bringing a hand up to her heart as she felt it racing widely, startled by the sudden approach of another human.

"Sorry," JJ whispered. "Didn't mean to scare ya."

"What are you doing out here?" Riley asked, bewildered at his presence.

"Couldn't sleep," JJ said. "You know, it's weird sleeping in this giant house, on a giant bed, with the giant looming thought that the last time I slept here I-"

"Dude," Riley cut him off before he could finish his sentence. He let out a laugh at her reaction.

"All I'm saying is," he began, "I prefer John B's couch."

"JJ," she said. She gave him a pointed look as he relaxed back onto the couch. "Seriously, what are you doing?"

"Told you," he shrugged. "Couldn't sleep."

"No but why are you here talking to me," Riley said. "Didn't we agree just the other day that we were going to go back to ignoring each other?"

"Doesn't seem to be working out for us," JJ said.

She couldn't help but wonder how they had gone 3 months without talking to each other, without even as much as having one simple interaction. She seriously wondered how they had somehow kept their secret hidden from everyone and never had to think about it in the three months that had followed.

Here she was realizing that she had seen more of JJ in the past two weeks, spoken more words to JJ in the past two weeks, than she had in her entire life. She didn't understand what was different or why the universe was doing this to her. And she didn't know what to make of it either. As she stared at him across the couch she realized she didn't mind his presence all that much.

"You got any more of that weed?" JJ asked, trying to sound serious but he couldn't keep the small smile from creeping onto his lips.

"I told you," Riley said, rolling her eyes but with a smile nonetheless, "I'm not high."

"Well not anymore," he said.

"Give it a rest," she said. "Tell me why you're really out here."

He twisted his mouth into somewhat of a smirk, she could tell he was trying to hide as he bit on the inside of his cheek. He leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees and let his gaze fall to the ground. "Yeah, I don't know I'm..." he trailed off for a moment, "I'm intrigued."