Chapter 2

The black carriage bearing the arms of Gisbourne stood before the manor doors, its matching black horses glowering as if they too were weary of their master's calls to Arlingford. A bead of perspiration began to form just beneath my veil. I gripped Robin's hand a little tighter.

"You are coming inside, are you not?"

"Of course. I want to announce our engagement to your father." Robin kissed me on the cheek. His brow furrowed. "And to question him about Guy of Gisbourne. How did that knight ever become sheriff?"

"You may question the sheriff himself. Sir Guy is inside. Although, I do not recommend it—it would not be wise to make enemies so soon, Robin."

My betrothed straightened his back, escorting me inside the cool walls of the manor. I suppose from Robin's point of view, after battling Saracens in the heat of Jerusalem, one upstart knight was nothing to worry oneself about. Nonetheless, I felt unseasonably warm as Robin ushered me into the great hall.

"Lord Huntingdon, we toast your return." The sheriff rose from his red cushioned seat, his goblet held high.

"Marian." Father frowned.

"Sir Guy." Robin's greeting was short. "There are many things I wish to speak to you about. My manor, for starters, and its adjoining village."

The sheriff grimaced as he reclined back in his seat. "Time enough for business. We are holding a feast in your honour at the castle this evening."

"So soon?" I asked.

"You have been gone so long." Father narrowed his eyes at me.

"That will be fine. It will be a splendid way to announce our betrothal." Robin pulled me closer to him.

"At long last, how romantic." Father drew his lips into a thin line of a smile as he took a slow sip from his goblet.

Sir Guy rose to take my hand. "I shall kiss the bride, congratulate the groom, and be off. You have business to discuss and I have taxes to collect. My presence will not be wanted." My hand hung limp between his brawny fingers and his cold lips.

"I promised you I would marry Marian upon my return," Robin stated as soon as we heard the great doors close out Sir Guy, his red cloak rustling behind him.

"You are a man of your word, Lord Huntingdon, after all. Marian, you are leaving me at last." Father smirked.

"Yes, Father, on Thursday next." I calculated how long it would take for Robin to put his affairs in order and for Sarah to pack my trousseau.

"She sets her own wedding day?"

"She shall have me tomorrow if she chooses," Robin said.

"You will be able to turn out your steward and let Marian run the manor."

"I have no mind to turn out anyone."

"Then I shall see to mine, these serfs are working slower by the day." Father turned on his heel and exited the hall. After a few paces, he revolved around. "Five years have not enlarged her dowry any, Lord Huntingdon."

Robin shrugged. "I did not expect it would have."

Father nodded, exiting the room like a shadow passing over the sun. I felt myself exhaling all the knots in my belly as his footsteps faded further away.