Chapter 12

I awoke in a rage, with an anger so strong I felt as if my own ribs were growing closer and closer together, threatening to smother the life out of me. My head was pounding, and my throat felt raw with all the words I could not let escape through my lips for fear the prince or my father would hear them. As I reviewed each of the previous day's events, the rage within me grew.

First, my aunt came very close to commanding me to move to London. In all likelihood she has requested permission from the Holy Father for me to marry my cousin.

I do not want to be queen. I do not want to be trapped in a palace in London, or worse, carted to and fro between lands I care not for, with simpering courtiers kissing my hand and calculating duchesses plotting how they may take my place.

Second, I am trapped already. Robin trapped me when he forced me to collect jewels from the courtiers while he held the banqueters in rapt attention with his bow.

If he wants to steal from the rich and give to the poor, he can do it himself. Unless I have changed my residence from Arlingford to Sherwood Forest, he does not need me to do it for him. Will Scarlett would do just as well.

Third, my betrothed had the gall to hide himself and his men in my bedchamber. With a guard at the door no less! What a position to put Sarah in! Should she scream and have them arrested, but risk my anger, or should she remain silent and hope we would not all be caught, tried for treason, and executed by daybreak? And all just to tell me he thinks Prince John is plotting to take the crown.

I could have predicted that a fortnight ago, if he had bothered to ask.

I rubbed my hands over my face. The welts from father's hand stung. I had nearly forgotten. There was a worse trap than either London or Robin expecting me to do his bidding because I had waited for him while he was off gallivanting in the Holy Land. The trap of my father's fist. I would need a thick veil or more of my aunt's powder if I was going to make a presentable appearance today.

I reached under my pillow and felt the dagger Robin had given me that day in the chapel. It gave me an idea.

Grey morning light streaked between the gaps in the shutters, like water seeping through a poorly thatched hut in Locksley village. It was just enough for me to dress myself without awakening Sarah, still snoring on the settee. I arranged the dagger's sheath under my flowing blue velvet sleeves and slipped the silver misericorde inside.

A strange fury still constricting my throat, I eased open the door of my chamber. I needed to escape. I needed to go somewhere where I could be alone.

"Lady Marian!" A beaming Sir Eduard backed away from the door. "You are a vision of graceful beauty this morning."

I did not even feign to smile. "Pray, excuse me." I circled around the knight. Had he stood sentry outside my door through the whole night?

"Pray, Lady Marian, allow me to accompany you."

"It is but a short walk." I turned my head to see him hurrying to catch up with me.

"Yet the pleasure of it shall carry me through the tournament." Sir Eduard fell into step beside me.

I set my mouth in a grim straight line. This man had no idea how close I was to drawing my dagger and slitting his throat then and there, if only to make him stop talking.

"I may boast that our fair sheriff has staked a considerable sum on my success."

I finally spoke, "You warrant your success prematurely."