Chapter 23

A thin veil of frost clung to the smooth sandstone exterior of the crags. I pulled my cloak tighter around my chest as I navigated my way down the ladder, intending to wash in the river before the men awoke.

There would not be many mornings left when I could do so, if winter was hastening as quickly as it seemed.

I eased my aching body into a shallow bend in the river, leaving my dagger in easy reach. The frigid water soothed the blisters still growing over my hands and feet. Robin had retrieved a pair of leather boots from a merchant to replace my worn-out slippers. They were serviceable and sturdy, but how my feet ached in the new leather.

I submerged my head under the frigid current, coming up gasping for air. How much of my old finery would I give to have Sarah pour a basin of warm water over aching back!

The men were gathered around the fire when I returned, too late to dry my hair in peace.

"So, you conquered the ladder and the forest on your own this morning, Marian. These six weeks have served you well," Tuck jested.

"Has it been six weeks? I have scarcely noted the time," I mused to myself, taking very small bites of a stale chunk of bread.

"Winter will be arriving soon. We should move more of our supply caches into our cave—the one halfway to Ollerton and the one near the bend in the Maun as it turns towards Locksley will be hardest to reach once the snow falls."

Much set down his bone, rising to warm his hands by the fire heating our cavern hideaway. "There is something I would like to do, if we are making this our permanent settlement for the winter."

"I thought it was quite clear this was our permanent settlement," Robin said. Little John snickered.

"All the same, I will require some time today to complete my task." Much stared into the flames.

"Are you asking permission?" Robin asked.

"Aye, I am. Something personal. Won't take more than a day, and won't take no more than me."

Robin nodded. "Be off then. It is still early."

Pulling his woolen cap further over his ears, Much rushed out of the hut. Will offered a low whistle, turning his head to the side as he watched Much leave.

I finished my stale crust of bread, making a list of all the things I would have to accomplish, now that it was mid-October. I awoke in the morning tucked closer around Robin. The fancy tapestry work I had woven at Arlingford to pass the time was traded for stitching together skins to form warmer tunics and new blankets. We would need those in abundance. The gown I had taken from my aunt's maid was no longer quite warm enough. The next time we raided a merchant's caravan I would need to take another. I wore my cloak day and night. If we did not happen to stumble across another merchant in the forest, I would have to brave a trip into Nottingham to purchase wool—could I risk such a thing?

Robin called us to our drills, forcing us to leave the smoky, but warm atmosphere of the cavern. Away from the eyes of the Merry Men, I slashed at a pell all my own, stripping it of its branches with my heavy training sword. Since the incident with my father, Robin challenged me each morning, as he did with the others, wielding the training weapon with expert weight and speed. Often in these moments I saw in him a cold fire still burning from the Crusade. With a sudden fury he would drive the oversized stake into the dirt, heaving as he fell down beside it.

"You have served your God and country well," I commented, dropping my sword beside his.

Robin wretched the wooden blade out of the dirt. "I have served my country well, now I serve its people."