Chapter 36

Sleep neglected to close my eyes. I took the watch the whole night through, punctuating the sonorous breathing of the men with the sound of heavy velvet casement curtains being rent into strips. I propped the casement open as I set about my task, listening to the shouting and scurrying of guards in the courtyard. It calmed my anxious heart. As long as soldiers were searching for us outside, they would not be able to lay a hand on us here.

I tied another knot, surveying the stars that had broken through the clouds to cast midnight shadows over the squat Nottingham homes. After the morrow's deeds, there would be no home for us—not here, not in England. My swollen fists ached as I tied another knot.

Before the first streaks of grey light filtered through the casement, I roused the men. All woke groggy, stretching aching, bruised muscles and massaging swollen hands. It seemed to take a moment for them to remember where we were and what mission we had to accomplish.

"This may be the most important day of our careers," Little John commented.

Will surveyed the collection of weapons we had accumulated: three swords, in addition to the one I had brought, the head of the broken battle axe, my dagger, and my bow. Will selected two swords to strap to his waist. "I have a debt to pay today."

"What of Tuck?" Much asked, hanging the other sword on his belt.

We turned to the form on the bench. Tuck's pale face bore the appearance of blood as the first traces of morning light seeped through the casement. Sarah bathed his forehead with cool water, pressing two fingers to the curve of his neck. For the first time I noticed how they had torn his beard and the mats of blood in his thick hair. Tuck's chest rose and fell with shallow breaths. Sarah smoothed his tunic with a gentle hand.

"He will be safe here, will he not?" Will asked. "We can bar the door."

"You must go," Father Tuck urged.

Will shifted his weight.

"I cannot fight with you today, you see. Leave me here and I will be at peace," Tuck murmured.

"I will stay with you, Father," Sarah spoke in hushed tones.

"We will bring you a physician as soon as we are able. Robin will see to that." Much promised.

Tuck smiled. "Sarah has been a good nurse." He turned his head towards me. "Bless you child, go in peace. I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Ghost." Tuck raised a stiff arm to form the sign of the cross. I bowed my head.

"We will leave you a sword, in case the sheriff's men find you," Little John insisted.

"I have no need to defend myself. You will have need of it," Tuck wheezed. "Go now, save Robin from the butchers." He paused again, his massive body racking with a bloody cough. "Why such frowns in the faces of the Merry Men?"

I swung my bow over my shoulder, hesitating. Little John stood at the casement, one hand on the rope I had fashioned. Much picked up the remaining sword, hanging it on his belt. Almost absentminded, Will began to twirl his swords. The shaft of red morning light spread further across Tuck's sickbed. Sarah turned to use, shaking her head.

"Go!" Tuck commanded, coughing the words. "Leave me now." His head fell back onto the pillow.

Sarah rose, kissing Much on the cheek as she guided us to the door. "It will be too late for a physician. I will stay with him, go now."