Chapter 22

I awoke to a darkness so complete it seemed to fold around me like a blanket. No sunshine slipped through my casement window. No embers glowed on the hearth. A faint light seemed to fight to work its way through the burlap curtain into our chamber. I extended an arm—yes, Robin was still beside me. My pounding heart slowed as I nestled into my husband's arms and closed my eyes once again.

"Good morning, my Lady Marian," Robin whispered.

"Good morning," I murmured, feeling Robin trace the outline of my jaw.

"Today is a big day for you, my love. We must start your training."

"Already?" I sighed. "Let us stay here a little longer." I burrowed my head into Robin's arms.

"I do not know when you will need to run through the forest to find the next store of supplies, or defend yourself against the sheriff's men. It may be next week. It could be this afternoon."

"I have my dagger," I yawned, reaching for the gold handled weapon tucked beneath my pillow.

"You need a short sword, at the very least. You do not have to be as close to your opponent to strike. Then I will teach you to use a bow."

"Do you not remember your last attempt?"

Even in the dark I knew Robin was grinning as he turned to kiss my neck.

I was but twelve years old on a bright spring day, before Pope Gregory's Crusade ever touched Nottinghamshire. Robin and I walked over the fields, Sarah following just behind us. As usual, Robin's bow and quiver were strapped to his back.

"A silly weapon for an earl's son," Sarah grumbled, thinking she was out of ear shot.

Young heads of grain rippled around us. Through their stalks Robin spied a rabbit gnawing a fresh green leaf. In one smooth motion he nocked an arrow, drew back the bowstring, and struck the rabbit in the heart.

"Martin the Miller will enjoy rabbit stew tonight," he boasted.

"I believe you are the best archer in the shire," I declared with girlish glee. Sarah rolled her eyes.

"In England at the very least, I wager," Robin replied.

"Are you the best teacher as well?" I countered.

He grinned at the challenge. Advancing towards me, Robin removed the leather bracer from his forearm and wrapped it around the sleeve of my dress. Sarah narrowed her eyes as he lingered to hold my hand before passing me the longbow. He selected a blunt arrow from his quiver.

Robin wrapped a lanky arm around my back as he guided my hands into position. "Now, take your arrow between your fingers and place it against the centre of the bowstring. Draw back the arrow." Robin guided my arm into the proper position. My wrist trembled against the weight of the draw and the warmth of my betrothed so close to me. "Aim for the rabbit, it will not mind. Now, Marian!"

I closed my eyes and opened my fingers. The bowstring thudded against the bracer. The arrow wavered in flight towards the sky, red fletch feathers highlighting its harmless descent into the dirt far, far away from the rabbit, where it startled a flock of geese pecking at the new grain.

Sarah chuckled. Robin joined in as he unwrapped the large bracer from my slender wrist. I flushed a deep, hot red.

I had not touched a bow since then.