Chapter 11

Six knights escorted Queen Eleanor to her chambers. I marched along just behind her, a reluctant companion. The torchlight cast unnatural shadows on the stone walls, distorting the size of the men's battle axes until they loomed as large as dragons' heads. As far as shadows were concerned, I appeared more like a prisoner destined for the dungeons than a cousin of royalty being escorted to her chambers, trailed by a retinue of ladies in waiting gripping their ringless white hands together as if Robin Hood would steal them too. We careened to a stop in front of a door reinforced with iron, two more knights standing sentry on either side of it, their axes poised to cleave any wanton outlaw in two.

Aunt Eleanor would find a more serene scene on the other side of that door. A great fireplace, nearly nine feet wide, at the far side of the chamber would illuminate the whole room. Before a series of large casements looking down upon the hills and meadows of Nottinghamshire, there would be a seating area arranged with red velvet cushions and the softest woven fabrics thrown over ornate chairs. The green and yellow curtains around the black ebony bedstead would be drawn back, ready for royalty to retire. Two dozen candles lit round the chandelier would flicker and wane into melted stubs until daybreak, playing with the pattern in the red and gold carpets and lighting the way for servants and maids should she require anything in the night.

Did I not know all this? Had I not played here as a child, listened attentively as Lady Huntingdon entertained my mother when her husband was in session as sheriff. At once Sherwood Castle felt oppressive in its familiarity. My gown was laced too tight. I felt dizzy, wishing myself to be alone in my chambers at Arlingford instead.

My aunt gave her leave of me with no more than a nod of her head and a gentle smile as she turned into the opulent chamber. The ladies parted around me and followed her inside. Four knights remained behind to guard my aunt's doors; two more escorted me to my chamber in the next corridor. One I recognized as the knight who offered me protection in the great hall.

"You were very brave this evening, Lady Marian," he said, his eyes remaining fixed on the corridor in front of us.

"Are we to have conversation then?" I replied. "I thought this was a silent escort."

"An escort only for your safety, my lady. The rogue Robin Hood has not yet been found."

"But he has with all certainty left the castle."

"With most certainty, my lady. Have no fear. He will not bother you again this evening."

We arrived at my chamber door. The would-be hero turned on his heel, stamping his battle axe to the ground as he took up post outside my door. His companion departed with nary a nod. At the sound of armoured feet marching back down the corridor, Sarah flung the door open with a curtsy, wrinkled apron, and eyes wide with apprehension. I sighed.

"May I at least know the name of my sentry?" I asked.

"Sir Eduard. Good evening, my lady."

I nodded curtly, anxious to be somewhat alone for the first time in what seemed to be a long while. As the door shut behind with a decisive thud, and Sarah bolted the door, I began in a whisper: "That man is the personification of chivalry in my aunt's dear stories. How I loathe romances."

"I always did prefer a good action story, myself."

Sarah curled her shoulders forward and stared at the floor as if she wished to apologize to the stones for being cut apart and polished.

I turned around. Robin grinned at me. He held his arms open wide for an embrace. I crossed my arms.

From behind a bed curtain, Much guffawed.