Chapter 66 Chaos Bringer

Atalanta took a deep breath, a habit she had developed since coming under the direct rule of this new leader of Talin. Hecate, even when she was merely another host for the goddess, had been an elusive and even perhaps feared figure amongst them. While for some, it was clearer whether more of the god or the man resided within the vessel, for Hecate, it simply did not matter. Whether it was the goddess who lived within or the woman, she wielded power to cause great care upon seeing her. And now she held the position more powerful than all, as she began to carve this path to some glorious future step by careful step. Now her plans take her elsewhere, far from Sandy dunes and alabaster palaces, far from blue skies and crystal oceans, and to the very depths of the wild, untamed lands where opportunity awaits manipulations.

    But it is Atalanta who must halt her preparations. As Hecate was deep in meditation within her chambers, a score of Elite Makhai warriors at her stead watched vigilantly over their silent master, stepping ever so cautiously out of the path of the goddess as she made her way towards the center of the room. Atalanta had little knowledge or interest in the mystic arts her master governs over, but her natural inquiry got the better of her as she came upon the scene. Hecate say in the mode of what appears to be a star etched into the smooth stone floor. This was ancient magic; the wisdom of her name told her so, but she could not tell her if what nature. Hecate's form shimmered and shook though she stood still, radiating an invisible power that even Atalanta's eyes could not perceive. Ad she sat cross-legged, her dress splayed out around her, five candles hovered at each point of the star, and each a differing color than the one before. Atalanta squinted her eyes and believed she could see the faintest images in their flickering form, but nothing she recognized. Finally, as she stopped on the outer edges of the strange ritual, Hecate's posture shifted, her shoulders lowered steadily as if smoothly easing some invisible stress. She did not turn, but her words, so full of power, surrounded Atalanta.

     "You should be preparing Athena," she said. "We depart for the land of the last sun very soon. You will need to be ready."

     "I shall, my lady; I have only just returned from the catacombs, checking up on our assets when I have just received troubling news I believe you shall hear."

"Almond the Necromancer," Hecate said wistfully, one of the flames growing bright at that name. "His golem army will serve us well when properly utilized, and his dark familiar's excellent spies. I had feared that under new leadership, his proficiency would falter, but I am glad to see that he is both loyal and capable. What of his recent work in Antalya."

     Atalanta cleared her throat and spoke clearly. I regret to inform you that the godlings of Theurgy have significantly interfered in our affairs in Antalya. Almond was able to create a base for what you ask for, but he was duly halted by the appearance of prince Lyse and this newer godling. Suffice it to say that this is a setback. Aphrodite has been slain, but we still chain her spirit and will find a new vessel in due time. However, what words she has brought back should particularly interest you regarding this new godling."

     "How so?" Hecate's interest seemed genuine, almost making Atalanta forget who she stood before for a moment. That, of course, changed to what happened after her following words.

     "The man she fought showed proficiency and heightened knowledge of Talin, and its workings," she said. "Local agents have been keeping an eye on him to ascertain his nature, but only during this final encounter was a name given. His name is Ryan Pesmenos."

      The air grew still; whatever flickering of wind or movement ceased immediately, and even the deathless warriors of the Makhai flinched from the sudden changing of the atmosphere. Hecate stood, then turned towards Atlanta. Behind that ack veil, eyes of torchlight bore down upon her.