Chapter 7 To Valoria

The border.

     The most active area of conflict in the clans has been in the past fifty years since this dreaded and long-fought war began between the Empire and the collective Frostlandian kingdoms. Edlund has grown up hearing of the utter brutality that occurred there, the constant effort to repel the relentless attacks launched by the frostlanders and their Hyperborean elite. It was pretty jarring, the initial conflicts. The Empire has always kept its distance to this ancient region north. If was mere rumors if even organized settlements were found, and the mysterious powers of the northern winds whispered amongst travelers. Everyone once in a blue moon someone may venture beyond the frigid forest and hallow hills to peer to this culture, only to return with warnings of dangers beyond these people that call the north part of the Utheran continent their home. These beings, who could will ice and snow, golems that could smash boulders to rubble, and vicious men as brutal as the Empire's most archaic of days.

       But, Edlund did not fear this enemy, not as he once had. This thought was of no arrogance; he fully acknowledges the severe danger these beings pose. He was at the mercy of one and could have certainly met his end. But that encounter had left him somewhat enlightened to them. They were indeed just as mortal as they were, though their mystic nature points to the opposite. But, he was also a much different person than the confident boy who treaded that snow in search of even greater foes. Though he was a knight then, he is even more now. And as he rides upon his pegasus, zipping through the chilly winds, his mind drifts back to that day that had come so abruptly.

      "Emerus," Celia glanced at the sword she was just inspecting and narrowed her eyes.

"Is he familiar, mother?" Lyse asked. "Never heard dad mention anyone like that."

"He trained both James and your father," she said before turning back to the servent. "Send word of our approach; we shall meet with him shortly."

The servent nodded before departing. Before following the servent down to the main entrance, Cwelia ordered Makyra to take the box back to the chamber when night comes, and until then, hide it in her room and never leave it. She called Makyra to hear from, with little protest in return as she wished to personalize her own space further while she had the chance. That left Edlund and Lyse to follow her down to the main hall before the throne room. It never crossed Lyse's mind that his father did have a master out there who taught him all he knew; he was just able to settle that his father had an instead decorated career as a knight and fought gods before. Though he believes this to be far more mundane, he found himself anxious to meet this person, and he could feel the same from Edlund. Edlund doubts that this person would be anything like Gabbes. He expects this seven-foot-tall muscle-bound creature with skin like iron and a mean look to challenge them both on the spot or something like that. Even his mother looked a little uneasy to meet this person, despite her knowing little to nothing at all about him. But when they came to the main hall, they were met with an odd sight.

It was a man, for sure, though aged to a near decrepit state. Lyse has never met someone so old. His skin was so dark and dry one could mistake he was some strange wood carving. His hunched figure blade seemed stable as he perpetually leaned forward, eyes forward and half observant. But most bizarrely was that he was sitting on a floating cushion that puts him barely on eye level with them. His white and grey robes draped his stick-like form, and a sword held in his lap. Flanking him were men in similar-looking robes. The eyeless helmets were trained in the aura, though they gave off vibes similar to the knights. But Emerus, Lyse couldn't believe his eyes when he saw what his aura looked like. Despite his frail appearance, his atmosphere was vibrant and serene, such a peaceful and mighty aura that dwarfed his own, checked his mother. Even if he cannot use this aura, it was impressive to behold for knights of any capacity. Lyse and Edlund both got the urge to bow their heads in respect, which they did.