chapter 27

After I came back I spend the whole day lying in the bed, I talked to Caleb and Noah shortly telling them that I am fine. Then I called Mary and told her to come back as soon as she can. I don't think I can live alone in the whole apartment and she said she will come by tomorrow's flight.

I didn't eat the whole day firstly because I don't know how to cook and secondly I don't want to eat anything right now. I am starting to hate New York, none of the people I befriended here was good except Hunter but maybe because he is not a friend he is more than that. As I was lying in the bed in my pj's the bell rang and I walked towards the door a little weary. What if it's Jack?

"Kitten it's me, open the door" it's the hunter. I sighed in relief as I opened the door. He stood before me with his usually stoic face but there was a hint of softness when he looked at me. He holds out the paper bag in front of me. I looked at him puzzled but then the delicious aroma wafted through my nose and I almost moaned.

"I brought this for you," he said and handed it to me. I took it from him and looked at him as he made his way inside as if it was normal for him. He sat on my couch and picked up the remote as he start surfing through the channel. I stood there for a moment looking at him with a little shock. He is acting so different these days, I understand him.

"Are you planning to stand there the whole time?" He said, his eyes still on the TV. I come out off my thoughts and walked towards the kitchen. I opened the bag to see Chinese food, my favourite. But it was for only one person.

"You aren't eating?" I asked.

"No I have already," he said. I hid my disappointment at him not eating with me as I stood at the kitchen counter to eat but I couldn't help myself as I took my food and went towards him. I filled the spoon full and move near his mouth he looked at me with a little frown.

"Please, just one bite it will make me feel good," I told him at that he sighed and eat it from my hand. I blushed a little and then I start eating. The whole time I was busy eating I could feel his intense gaze on mine and I tried too hard to not look back at him. When I was done I looked up at him to still watch me but then he immediately moved his eyes to the TV screen and then stood up.

"I have to go now, take care and lock the doors behind me" he ordered me and I nodded like a good girl. But inside I wanted him to stay for the night but I know it is ethically wrong. I can't bother him any more than how much I already had.

"Good night!" I said and he nodded as he walked towards the lift. I closed the door and put my head on the door as I sighed. What is he doing to me?

The next day Mary came and I was on the moon. With Mary being at the home I was so happy and at peace. She felt that something was going on with me but I didn't tell her instead I lied saying that she is thinking too much.

I also started going to university and I didn't see Jack again. The teacher told us that he got in an accident and won't be coming back. He has gone back to the town back where his parents live. I felt a little bad for him too, he was very smart and intelligent. If only he didn't do what he did to me everything would have been good!

Hunter takes me to university daily and back from the bookshop at night too. I have tried to talk him out of it but he didn't budge. I only was able to convince him that I will go back from university and to the bookshop on my own. He could only drop me off in the morning and take me back in the night from the bookshop. He wasn't happy but still, he obliged.

It's been two months since the incident and everything has turned to normal. Hunter and I have been a little cordial since then. He would often smile at me and would still pick and drop me. We have confessed to each other but I know in my heart that he feels the same about me as I feel for him. But this time I will wait, I will wait until he will confess to me. I don't want to be hurt again.

I told Hailey about Jack and she said she always disliked him. And now understand why they never get along. I only have her now, I still don't go out with her, especially at night but today we went out to the New cafe that opened near our university. She said she wanted to try their food so we came here.

The cafe was small and cosy, and everything here was pink. Tables, chairs, cutlery, napkins everything. There was also a small book shelf in the corner. All in all, it was a beautiful place. We ordered some pastries and coffee. The staff was also nice here.

"This is going to be my new favourite place," I told her and she approved.

Then we talked about our incoming exams, we talked for a while until our pastries came. We tasted and moaned in approval. They were delicious, we promised to come here once a week. While we were talking my gaze fell on someone outside and I stilled. Hailey followed my gaze and squinted.

"Rose!" She said slowly as she recognized her but my eyes fell on her.

"How do you know her?" I asked her.

"She's Zoe's sister," she told me and I couldn't help but look outside at her again, they do resemble a lot now that I look closely. She was with a toddler, they were standing in front of a small restaurant. I frowned more when a man came out of the shop and she was scolding him for something which I couldn't hear from the distance but the guy was smiling sheepishly.

"Do you know her?" She asked me and I looked at her still in a daze.

"Yeah... sort of," I said and looked out once again but gasped loudly at what I saw. Rose was kissing that guy in front of everyone. How could she? She is cheating on Mr handsome?

"What happened?" Hailey looked genuinely confused at my reaction.

"She has a boyfriend ... how could she... how could she do this to my ... friend," I said as I looked at Hailey who was frowning now.

"I don't what you are talking about Alara but that is Rose's husband Jacob. And that is their daughter" she said pointing towards them. My breath hitched as I took in the information. I felt cold in an instant, it felt like I am hit with a brick.

"What's happening to you?" She asked me as she held my hand. I looked at her with my eyes filled with tears.

"He... he lied to me. Mr Handsome lied to me, why would he do that to me?" I asked her as the tears start falling. She was watching me with concern as she doesn't know what I am talking about. I didn't wait anymore as I ran outside towards the person who hold all the answers to my questions.