𝟐

LUKAS POV

I turn away from Josiah who for some reason was asking Juliana to the dance. I mean out of all the people he could have asked, he asked her.

I wonder what he sees in her?

There's nothing special about Juliana, she's basic. Basic looks, basic style, basic smarts. I could go on..

Plus school dances are so lame. I only go if someone is guaranteed to spike the punch, which somehow happens every year. The teachers never seem to keep a close eye on the beverages.

The alcohol doesn't make up for the trash event though. It's just a bunch of sweaty people huddled together in a dark room and I already get enough of sweaty people at hockey.

My skates glide onto the ice and I make my way over to where everyone is huddled up. Their conversations are scattered, some talking about practice, some about the upcoming game, and some about the dance. I've noticed that only a few people actually care about this dance so I'm glad most people are on the same page as me.

A familiar voice catches my ear, making me listen in. "She texted me asking if I had plans next Saturday," Alex speaks up.

I involve myself in the conversation, wanting to know more. "What are you talking about?" I question him.

"You don't know?" he questions, now facing me as he's noticed I've showed up.

I shake my head which leads him to skate away from the group, dragging me with him. Once we get far enough from the others, he puts his arm over my shoulder.

"You know about the dance that's next Saturday?" he begins to explain.

"Yeah, what about it?" I reply bluntly.

"Guess who asked me to be their date?" he continues. He stares at me, waiting for me to guess which girl it could be.

I pause and think about every girl he's close to or talks to. I mean don't get me wrong, Alex isn't ugly he just doesn't pull a lot of girls. He can't take anything seriously so relationships are usually out of the picture.

I end up giving up and throw him a shrug.

"Faye Watson," he spits out after a sigh.

I move his arm from my shoulder and skate a step back. "Seriously?" I ask.

His straight face turns into a smirk. "Yup," he confirms.

"I'm proud of you for actually getting a date this year," I tease him as I playfully pat him on the back.

He chuckles and throws his hand out in a fist for me to give him one back.

Faye asking Alex makes me stop and think for a moment.

Almost every hockey guy here has had a crush on one of the figure skaters and it doesn't make sense to me. I mean why would you risk dating one of the skaters? If y'all were to break up then you'd be stuck seeing them every day, wouldn't that suck?

I skate back, away from Alex and move in towards the larger group. "What do y'all see in the figure skaters?" I question at a louder volume for the group to hear. "I mean we go to school.. with girls who don't spend half of their lives here at the rink. You guys are aware of that, right?" I question all of them.

They all stay quiet for a moment before one of them decides to speak up. "Dating a figure skater means seeing them everyday, and who wouldn't want that?" one of the boys in the back say.

"You wouldn't want that if y'all broke up," I mention.

The guy in the back who voiced his opinion, Simon, has now taken a moment to think about his words. "I guess you're right but I wouldn't care," he states.