Sewers and Rumors

Onyx sat at the table, picking at her plate of prawn. She wasn't really hungry at the moment, preoccupied with listening to the story of what the other ninja had done at the tombs. "So then, when we were about to bite it, a huge mechanical robot-" Zane interrupted Jay's story. "Samurai. It was a Samurai," he said. Lloyd cocked his head. "A Sama-What?" He asked, confused. "Samurai. Highest level of warrior class. They would protect nobles and serve with honor on the battlefield," Wu answered.

"I thought they didn't exist anymore. Wasn't their order lost along with Ninjago's ancient civilization?" Onyx asked, thinking back to something Wu had told her about a war between the ninja clans of Ninjago, and the Samurai orders of an ancient kingdom.

"No! He existed! He was a hundred feet high, with weapons coming out of every part of him," Kai cried. Onyx stared at him. His eyes seemed to have a toxic green sheen on them. "When is this Venomari spit supposed to wear off? It's getting super annoying," Nya asked. Onyx settled back down, figuring that the Venomari were another type of Serpentine. It seemed that they possessed saliva that could cause hallucinations. Slightly disgusting, but also impressive. And dangerous.

Cole stared at Kai before shaking his head. "Okay, don't let this mysterious Samurai cloud what's really important. All the Serpentine are out, and if Pythor can unite them, Legend states some Great Devourer is gonna come and consume this land," he said, reminding everyone of the larger problem. Onyx frowned. Who in the world could the Samurai be? Was he a descendant of the old order?

Then the rest of what Cole said registered with everyone. "Great Devour-er?" Nya asked. Cole shrugged. "Whatever it is, it's a can of worms I don't wanna see open," he said seriously. "Unh, this is all my fault. If I hadn't opened the first tomb, none of this would've happened," Lloyd said, putting his face in his hands. "We cannot change the past, only affect the future. At least we have the Sacred Flute in our possession," Wu said. Onyx pat Lloyd on the shoulder sympathetically. It was his fault, but there was no point in crying over spilled tea.

Jay suddenly looked very sheepish. "Yeah, ahem, about that..." he started, trailing off. Onyx had a bad feeling about the rest of that statement. "Pythor sort of... stole it," Zane finished, equally ashamed. Onyx stared at the two incredulously. Their one surefire line of defense, gone. Wu made a sound that was somewhere between a sigh and a growl. "The last Sacred Flute, gone? Then you five are Ninjago's last hope," he said, suddenly weary. Before anyone could react, the alarms started blaring.

Nya jumped up. "Cold vision must've picked something up. That means the Serpentine are near," she said, hurrying to the bridge. Onyx skidded into the bridge after everyone else, immediately looking to the screen. Four huge groups of blinking dots were coalescing into a huge group right in the middle of...

"Oh no. Ninjago City!" Cole gasped. "How many are there?" Jay asked. "Looks like all of them," Kai responded. "Pythor must be trying to unite them," Zane observed. "We've gotta do something! And I'm coming this time," Onyx said. Wu nodded. "Go, we mustn't let the five tribes gather. Go!" He ordered. The team glanced at each other, before nodding and shouting, "Ninja go!" Then they ran out of the room to prepare.

The five joined up on the deck, Zane still in pink, which he sighed a complaint about. Kai tried to walk forwards, but staggered and fell. Jay grabbed him. "Don't worry, it'll wear off soon. But for now, you're coming with me," he said, grabbing Kai and jumping off the ship.

Onyx double checked her parachute before doing the same, clamping her teeth shut so she didn't bite her tongue if she landed too roughly. "Ah, I love the smell of land hurtling towards you in the middle of the night!" Cole shouted over the wind howling in their ears, obviously not sharing the same concerns. Kai screeched in terror, and Jay gave an exhilarated cry as they plummeted towards the concrete below. Onyx narrowed her eyes in concentration as she yanked her rip cord, popping the parachute out, relieved when it spread out above her, slowing her descent.