Chapter 30

Matt's POV

"You sure I'm not keeping you from work?" Ivan asks. Him and I are currently in a cafe across the street from my work place right now. I can't say that it's not awkward.

I shake my head "I'm taking my lunch break right now" I say, then it occurs to me. "Wait, shouldn't you be at school?"

I was so shocked by Ivan's appearance that this being a school day completely slipped my mind.

He, however, just shrugs his shoulders like skipping school isn't a big deal.

"Like I said, I needed to speak with you." He says.

A pause.

"About what?" I ask, as if I don't know what this exactly might be about.

"About....yesterday."

Bingo!

I sigh "I'm really sorry you had to see that I-I don't even know what happened but I promise you it won't happen again."

Ivan fidgets and clears his throat and says sounding unsure. "I don't-I'm not here to talk about that...well actually I want to talk about out it but not yet? I'm not here to tell you to stay away from dad or anything um I honestly don't know how I feel about that yet...I think I'm kind of in shock."

I nod my head. Completely understanding. I am still in shock myself.

Yesterday was a mistake, there is not doubt about that. That kiss shouldn't have happened. I mean am I crazy? Kissing Fran's dad? Wendy's ex husband? That would never work. That would never be....normal. People are not accepting me in their life now, how would they feel if was actually in some kind of relationship with Zach?

Relationship? Best to not get ahead of yourself there, Matt.

"I'm here to talk about....what you and dad were discussing before I....barged in his office."

My eyes widen in surprise. I clear my throat and compose myself.

"You heard that huh." I laugh nervously.

Ivan nods.

"I think I've been selfish." He says.

"What? No don't be ridic-"

"No I have been" a pause "I've only been thinking about my pain, and my problems with you being here, with Fran being gone that I didn't really think about....well what this whole thing is like for you".

I take a deep breath, not really sure where this is going.

"I think..I've painted you as the villain in this whole situation, that you took Fran from us, that she won't come back because of you, that you are...in the way of me getting my family back, truly."

"That-that was never my intention."

"I know it's not, Dan and dad...they keep telling me that you're a good guy, that I should give you a chance and I just never wanted to listen to them.

"I think because for me...every time Fran leaves the house to go to yours, it feels like she's never coming back again. That she could disappear at any moment again. And I'm not even in the same house to try and stop it."

For a moment I don't know what to say, which Francisca would be shocked to know.

Everything Ivan said makes me hurt for him, for what his mother caused.

He is just a boy who lost two of the most important people in his life at young age and when he finally has one of them back, he feels like that is still in danger of changing.

He is just a scared kid.

"I know it's not easy...I feel the same way actually."

Ivan tilts his head in question, urging me to continue and help him understand.

"Every time she goes to your house...she stays there for so long that when I'm home alone waiting for her to come back I wonder if...if she ever will.

"I live in that fear constantly...I know she chose to stay with me and I know she says that I'm just as important to her as you and the others but I can't help but have this...this hint of insecurity.

"Honestly the words of strangers whether it being your dad's friends or your grandparents...they just make me confirm what I already know to be true deep down....I am an outsider and I don't belong."

Silence is on the other end of the table.

Ivan stares at me and plays with the hime of his bean jacket.

He clears his throat. "Then...I think we both need to do better to get rid of these insecurities we have"

I smile at him and nod "I guess we do."

After a moment of more silence Ivan stands up to leave, I stand up too.

He nods at me "good talk." He says before he turns around to leave, he takes a few steps as I watch him go before he stops and turns around to face me once more.

"Do not think this means I like you." He says with his finger pointed at my direction and eyes narrowed.

I scoff, amused

"I wouldn't dream of it."

He turns around again to leave for real this time.

Once he is out of sight I sit back down with a huff.

I lied to the kid, I dream of it all the time, I dream of really and truly being part of this family because weirdly enough, they are the closest thing I have to one.

*************************************************

This is an incredibly short chapter I'm sorry 😅

But I think a lot of progress was made here.

Don't forget to comment and vote!