【F R E S H M E A T】

CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2

• • •

OMNISCIENT

  ''It's like I said, she's got a rep.'' Rocket informed as they walked around the ground floor of the Kyln. Prisoners leaned against the railings from the floor above, shouting down to Gamora as she walked past. 

  ''Murderer!''

  ''You're scum!'' 

  ''You're dead!'' 

  Were only some of the threats. 

  Rocket continues, ''A lot of prisoners here have lost their families to Ronan and his goons. She'll last a day, tops.'' He bets. 

  ''Murderer!''

  ''The guards will protect her, right?'' Peter asks, a bit nerved by the confident words coming from the previous prisoners.

  Rocket held back a scoff at his assumption. ''They're here to stop us from getting out. They don't care what we do to each other on the inside.'' 

  Gamora perks into the conversation, rather deadpanned. ''Whatever nightmares the future holds, are dreams compared to what's behind me.''

  Before Peter could get a word out, he walked into one of the prisoners. With the intent to keep following behind Gamora, Groot and Rocket, he didn't end up doing so. He froze in front of the prisoner. 

  ''Check out the new meat.'' The prisoner mused, raising his hand to run it alongside Peter's face. Almost caressing it. ''I'm gonna slather you up in Gunavian jelly, and go to town—'' 

  The prisoner was effectively cut off when he was picked up from the ground. Peter took a step back. Groot had now shoved his fingers up the guys nose, roots slowly growing further. The prisoner writhed in pain, groans and begs coming from him. 

  ''Let's make something clear,'' Rocket declared, walking around the small empty circle in the crowded bottom floor. For his size, he was quite ruthless. ''This one here—'' He pointed to Peter. ''—is our booty! You wanna get to him, you go through us! Or, more accurately, we go through you.'' 

  Rocket threatened the prisoners of the Kyln, baring his teeth up at them as a sign of aggression. And not just because Groot was currently standing behind them, over a bleeding prisoner. 

  As they begun walking away again, Peter was quick to follow with a few short words. 

  ''I'm with them.'' 

• • •

  By now, Gamora was sat in her cell. 

  Prisoners banged their fists against the glass separating them from Gamora, shouting threats and the like. Gamora didn't pay no mind to it, only flinching when someone slammed their fist into the door. Again, it hadn't broken.