【T W O O F A K I N D】

CHAPTER 5

• • •

OMNISCIENT

  The guards that were stationed outside the cells hadn't been there. Rocket could only guess that they were slacking off and sleeping somewhere. He scoffed at the thought of it. By now, anyone could sneak out. 

  Of course, he had thought of it. But he still had one thing to do before he left this wretched place for good. He wasn't just about to leave here without answers, he was going to regret it later. 

  Stopping beside the last cell, Rocket peeked inside. 

  The cell was a bit bigger then some of the others. At first glance, one could see a broken down bed with dirty sheets and no blankets. The pillow wasn't fluffy, and surely was warm. Boxes were stacked against the far wall, beside and under the bed. 

  The faint light shone against Rocket, making him squint a bit as he looked to where it came from. Between a tall wall of boxes, a small doorway - Rocket sized - had led to another small area. 

  There, a makeshift desk had been made. Rocket quietly moved to the small walkway between the wall of boxes, staring blankly at the figure standing on a box for a stool. The faint light came from the lamp beside them. The figure groaned, before slamming a fist down against the flimsy material of the desk. 

  Rocket — not aware of his surroundings at the moment — happen to stub his toe on the corner of the box. He let out a quiet yelp, with a harsh whisper of, ''Shit.''

  The figure lifted their head, Rocket going still for a good minute. Their ears swiveled as they stood and swiftly turned to Rocket, holding a screwdriver in their paw. Rocket held his paws up beside his head, showing he was no threat to the girl.

  ''Who the fuck are you?'' She snarled, prodding the screwdriver close to Rocket. She gracefully hopped off the box.

  Rocket had to hold back a laugh at the threaten of using a screwdriver against him. When he didn't respond, she spoke again.

  ''Hello? I asked you a question, dumbass.'' She seethed. Growing closer with each step, Rocket didn't falter. He stood his ground, his paws still kept held beside his head. 

  ''How would you like to get outta here?'' Rocket instead responded. She furrowed her brows, her head titling. 

  ''What?'' She moved the screwdriver closer, poking Rocket in the nose with it. 

  He laughed, before moving his paws to his hips. His tail swayed behind him, his eyes glanced back to the desk behind her. There wasn't much, a few broken shards of wood and a pencil with some papers. Not including the screwdriver currently in her paw. 

  Growing closer to her face, she spoke lowly. ''What's so funny?'' 

  Rocket looked back down into her black eyes. They looked merciless. The screwdriver wasn't threatening in the least, only making Rocket want to laugh more. The more he looked at her, the more he noticed that she looks almost identical to him. He was astonished on the inside but keeping himself deadpanned on the outside. 

  He's always been like that. He doesn't trust much of anyone, actually.

  She scoffed, rolling her pitch eyes and turning back to her desk. Hopping back on the box, she placed the screwdriver down on the weak desktop. Rocket could see a braid that went down the back of her head, about 3-4 inches. The tip of the braid, spray painted a pink-ish color. 

  ''Have you ever tried?'' Rocket asked, contemplating whether or not to hop on the box. 

  She hummed, turning back to whatever she was doing. ''Escaping? Yeah, plenty of times.'' 

  ''Why stop?''

  She snarled, turning her head back to Rocket. ''Why should I tell you? You just invited yourself inside and assumed I wouldn't kill you.''

  ''Trust me, this isn't the first time I've been threatened with a screwdriver.''

  Turning back to her work, she swished her black and grey patterned tail. Her ears swiveled back to Rocket a few times, before returning to their normal position. 

  Rocket sighed, getting onto the box beside her. ''Could I at least get a name?''

  ''I asked you for that first. Shouldn't you answer my question?'' 

  At this, she was right. Even though it hadn't been as polite Rockets, she still asked. Rocket huffed with a hint of a laugh, crossing his arms and leaning them against the desk. 

  ''Rocket.'' He stated, looking down to the papers filled with pencil scribbles. ''Now you.'' 

  She gave Rocket a look. Almost glaring. He raised his brows, prodding her to answer him. With a sigh, she dropped her pencil and reluctantly answered. ''[Y/n].''

  ''Well, [Y/n] we're getting out of here tomorrow. And I am inviting you to join us.'' 

  ''"Join us"?''

  ''Yeah, me and few others.'' 

  Her paws clamped. Her claws dug into the soft part of her palms, just barely leaving a mark. Rocket glanced down at her paws, before looking back up to her face. Her eyes were shut lightly. Her nose twitched before she answered. 

  ''And are these 'others' going to be an issue?'' 

  ''Nope. Not at all.'' 

  Now, someone could say that Rocket was lying. After all, he was traveling around with a Terran with a bounty and a Titan's daughter. Not to mention, Drax the Destroyer had made an appearance only a few moments ago. 

  ''Fine.'' 

  Rocket grinned, patting her shoulder. 

  ''Look for me tomorrow. We're getting out of here.''

  ''Yeah, yeah.'' She waved him off as he hopped off the box. 

  Rocket took one last look at [Y/n], before walking out of her cell with a grin. One which slowly turned into a smile. Albeit, small, it was genuine. He had a hard time composing himself. He had just seen someone exactly like him. He was ecstatic.

  [Y/n] had felt the same. She didn't want to seem faltered by the random appearance by Rocket. She tried seeming as disinterested as possible. And accepting the invitation given to her by Rocket had fulfilled her wish. As Rocket left her cell, she found herself putting a paw to her chest. Which had felt like it was about to explode.