37

Chapter 37 – Standing on His Opposite Side

Seeing that Nathaniel had come, Winifred suddenly held her head and cried out in pain.

“Mom? What’s the matter?”

Quintina immediately stepped forward to support Winifred and complained to Nathaniel, “Nathaniel! Look what kind of person your ex-wife is! She is so arrogant after divorcing you. She even repays kindness with ingratitude.”

“Ingratitude?” Ernest sneered and said, “Do you dare to tell everyone what your family has done to Jill?”

Winifred and Quintina were extremely embarrassed by that question.

Janet had married the Webster family for so many years, but she had never used any penny of the Webster family. She had worked very hard and done everything very well. She was a perfect wife.

“You can’t say it, can you?”

Seeing that Winifred couldn’t refute, Ernest took a step on and said in an icy tone, “As soon as Nathaniel divorced her, you immediately connected to a new marriage. I think the greatest kindness you have to her was not killing her before!”

He just wanted to tell the truth when all the big shots in the business world gathered together!

He wanted to get justice for Janet!

The more confident Ernest was, the guiltier Winifred felt. She trembled, couldn’t make a sound, and was about to fall again.

Seeing that the situation was unfavorable to her, Quintina felt she couldn’t win against Ernest, so she turned against Janet

again.

“Janet, no matter what, my mother is still your ex-mother-in-law. She’s old, and she’s still your elder. Are you going to let others bully us like this?!”

Seeing Quintina pointing at her, Janet suddenly felt that the few years she had spent with the Webster family were ridiculous.

She wanted to fight back, but Ernest stepped forward and stood in front of her to protect her. Then, he sneered,

“It’s ridiculous! You can’t find any evidence to refute me, so you start to take advantage of your mother’s age. Is this what the Webster family teaches you to do?”

“Mr. Websters, how can you stand it?”

At the end of his sentence, Ernest turned to look at Nathaniel.

Ernest’s words were sharp.

Nathaniel’s expression became even colder after hearing his words.

“That is too much.” Some people said, in an attempt to ease the atmosphere.

However, some people disagreed. “I don’t think it’s too much. Mrs. Webster came up to talk about cooperation, but only after finding that Ms. Longfellow was Mr. Websters’s ex-wife, she changed her attitude. Now she is just taking advantage of her age

to win.”

“Yeah, don’t you think it’s a shame? If such a thing happens in my family, I’m afraid I won’t dare to go out!”

“Could it be that she has found her original daughter-in-law so capable that she wants her son to get back together with

her…”

The surrounding crowd began to discuss in whispers.

Nathaniel looked at Janet’s indifferent face and was about to say something when Quintina roared.

“Who do you think you are to talk about the Webster family here? With your meager assets, we can just…’

“Quintina, shut up!”

Nathaniel scolded in a low voice.

From the moment he came in and saw Janet and Ernest standing together, Nathaniel had been in a bad mood. In addition, Quintina and Winifred had caused trouble here, making him even more annoyed.

“Quintina, remember who you are. You are a great-educated lady. It’s inappropriate for you to make a scene here.”

“Help mother to the private room to rest. The auction is about to start.”

Hearing this, Quintina was a little unconvinced. She wanted to say something more but flinched under Nathaniel’s glare.

She muttered in a low voice, “Okay.”

However, her eyes were still fixed on Janet with resentment. If her eyes could kill people, Janet would have been cut into pieces by her.

Janet didn’t want to pay attention to her.

The others still wanted to know what would happen here, but Nathaniel glanced at them coldly, so they could only leave here.

Only Nathaniel, Janet, Ernest, and Orville were left in the middle of the hall.

Nathaniel’s gaze fell on Janet.

She was wearing an evening dress, elegant and charming. She just stood there quietly and drew all the attention in the room. Janet was indeed turned into a different person from the girl he knew before.

Nathaniel’s eyes

darkened.

After a while, he said, “You’re a star and a group chairman. Why do you have to go against a woman and child here?”

Ernest retorted, “Mr. Webster, you’re really good at avoiding the important points. Is this the right of the woman in your family to question another’s identity and slander other people like that?”

“Ernest, you deliberately provoked my mother and sister and made them ashamed in public. Do you think I don’t know what you’re thinking?”

Nathaniel was a big shot in the business world and was not stup*d.

On the surface, it seemed that Ernest was defending Janet and was forced to fight back.

However, Nathaniel knew very well that Ernest was deliberately refusing to give up because he wanted to make a big deal out of this matter and damage the reputation of the Webster family..

“That’s what she deserved!” Ernest did not show any mercy to Nathaniel. “If you hadn’t appeared….”

“That’s enough, Ernest.”

Just as Ernest was about to step forward and argue with Nathaniel, Janet wrapped around his arm and stopped him.

“Jill, I’m just getting angry. I

Ernest knew how much Janet loved Nathaniel, so hearing her words, Ernest thought she was upset because of the conflict with Nathaniel, so he hurriedly tried to explain.

With a faint smile on her face, Janet shook her head gently at Ernest.

“We can’t change a person who is different from us. You will only waste your time talking to him. The auction is about to start.

Let’s enter the main venue first.”

Janet turned to look at Orville with a pleading look as she spoke.

Orville walked quickly to Janet’s side and said with a smile, “I’ll do whatever you say, Jill.”

From beginning to end, Janet did not even spare Nathaniel a glance.

Nathaniel suddenly felt a heartache.