40

Chapter 40 – Are You Worried about Me?

At this time, they were in a happy mood in their private room of Janet.

“Jill, I heard that you dressed up for me today. Is that true?”

Orville sat on the right side of Janet and slowly slid his slender fingers across the ink bamboo white porcelain cup. His beautiful eyes made one’s heart tremble just by looking at them.

However, Janet was not in the mood to appreciate the beautiful scenery before her.

She hadn’t participated in the auction for many years, and it had been a long time since she had felt such an atmosphere.

“It’s not true.”

Janet’s response was quite straightforward.

“Pfft…” Emest was amused by Janet’s attitude and said, “Jill, isn’t your answer a little too heartless?”

Although Janet said so, Orville did not take it to heart. His eyes seemed to fix on Janet, and he asked with a smile.

“What do you like? Tell me, and I’ll buy it for you.”

Hearing Orville’s question, Janet turned around and looked at him, raising her eyebrows slightly; she asked, “What do you think you can buy, but I can’t?”

The current Janet was full of confidence.

Orville instantly shriveled up. Ernest laughed at him rudely, and his laughter reached Nathaniel’s ears.

“I need to go out for a while.”

He didn’t want to see Janet again, and Lennon happened to send his staff here, so he left the private room and decided to discuss the follow-up cooperation with Lennon in advance.

Winifred bought an embroidered pillow that she liked. When she saw Nathaniel leave, she threw a dirty look at Janet, who was in the opposite room.

“She’s just divorced! It’s shameless for her to h**k up with other men in public like that!”

Winifred rolled her eyes grumpily. Even though she had promised Nathaniel not to make things difficult for Janet anymore, she was still thinking about how to deal with Janet so that she could teach her a lesson!

“That’s right! When she was in our family, she served us like a maid. How could she pretend to be a noble lady now? Bah!”

Hearing what Winifred said, Quintina found Nathaniel was not around, and she immediately echoed.

If it weren’t for her fear that Nathaniel would cut off her money, she would have scolded Janet long ago.

“How dare Janet humiliate me like this with two other men! One day, I’ll make her pay!”

When she thought of how the person she had always looked down on had embarrassed her, Winifred was furious, and she also hated Ernest and Orville, who had been defending Janet.

Ernest, who had always been sensitive to people’s malice, noticed Winifred’s disgusted eyes.

The items that Winifred had bought were all for the wedding. Thinking of the gossip about Nathaniel and Anastasia’s marriage a few days ago, Ernest felt that Nathaniel was not worth it to Janet.

“Jill.”

Ernest’s tone was full of concern.

At this time, Janet was not in the mood to pay attention to Nathaniel. She star

waiting for the small porcelain bowl to start biding, “Ernest, do you know when will the property bowls start bid?”

Ernest forcefully swallowed his question back to Janet because Janet didn’t seem to care about Nathaniel.

No matter what, he still wanted Janet to be happy. There was no need to bring up Nathaniel’s matter and affect Janet’s mood.

“I think it should be ranked behind jewelry. After all, the more precious the item is, the later it will appear.”

Ernest smiled gently.

“That makes sense.”

Janet nodded in agreement.

Orville saw that Janet was in a bad mood. In addition, he had wanted to buy a gift for Janet, so he took a fancy to the jade bead chain being auctioned at this time.

In the center of the exhibition stand, a total of 27 thumb-sized emerald beads were tied to a ribbon, and the buckles on the back were inlaid with all kinds of precious gold. It was designed by a master responsible for designing the agate beads for the ministers in the Qing Dynasty. It was flowing with light and full of the aura of glory.

“Ten million.”

Suddenly, Orville said to Janet.

“Hmm?”

Janet turned to look at Orville, who had never shown any interest in any property. She was surprised and asked, “Do you like this jade necklace?”

It was the necklace of women.

Seeing the puzzled look on Janet’s face, Orville leaned back against the sofa comfortably. He looked at Janet dotingly and said, “Jill, I can tell you’re not in a good mood. I’ll buy you this bead chain.”

Orville did not want to give Janet a chance to reject.

At that moment, the auctioneer on the first floor began to shout.

“Ten million once!”

“Ten million going twice!”

Just as Janet didn’t know how to stop Orville, fortunately, someone else raised the paddle.

“Twelve million!”

“Twelve million! The guest in the No. 3 private room on the second-floor bids Twelve million! Is there any higher price? This is a rare treasure! No matter what age you are, no matter what status you have, you will definitely be more elegant with such a national-grade necklace! You won’t regret it.”

The auctioneer’s words were encouraging, and Orville looked at the opposite room with a cold gaze,

Winifred was looking at Orville with a smug expression, and the arrogance and disdain on her face were clear.

“Fourteen million.”

Who was Orville?

Even though he was not as rich as the Webster family now, his group was still one of the top groups in Raleigh. This amount of money was not a big deal to him.

Hearing that price, Janet hurriedly stood up and covered Orville’s mouth, and said, “What are you doing?”

Orville grabbed Janet’s hand and asked with a smile, “What’s wrong, Jill? Are you worried about me?”

“No, I just think that if it’s for me…’

“Fifteen million!”

Π

Before Janet could finish her sentence, Winifred’s voice rang out again.

The bidding price was rising too rapidly, and some businessmen sitting on the first floor looked up and wanted to see who was

so rich to bid like that.

Seeing the badges of the Webster family and the Longfellow family hanging outside the wing rooms, they seemed to understand something.

“I heard from someone that before the auction, the chairman of Longfellow Group had a conflict with Mr. Webster’s mother. It seems that the two families are in a competition!’

“I think the price of such a string of Emerald Pearl Chains is only worth fifteen million. If it goes higher, buying it will be a loss!”

“The two leading enterprises in Raleigh have a dispute. I’m afraid that the situation in Raleigh is going to change.”

The two families raised the price regardless of the consequences. Everyone was discussing in a low voice, but they did not dare to interfere.