38

Chapter 38 – I Want to Have a Kiss

“Ernest, thank you.”

Stepping into the auction hall, Janet turned around and looked at Ernest sincerely, expressing her gratitude to him.

“Why are you being so serious? There’s no need to thank me. You’re treating me like an outsider by saying that, and I don’t

like that!”

Seeing the resentment in Ernest’s eyes, Janet’s mood, which had been slightly affected by the Webster family, instantly improved.

“Okay, whatever you asked.”

As she spoke, Janet’s gaze turned to Orville. After all, Orville had spoken up for her just now.

“I want your thanks.” Orville smiled mysteriously and said, “Jill, can you give me a kiss to express your gratitude?”

“D*mn it! Orville, how could you do this? You cheated!”

Seeing Orville waiting for a kiss, Ernest’s eyes widened instantly. He felt he had learned something from that.

Janet was amused by them and said, “Alright, the auction is about to begin. Stop fooling around.”

Janet had always remembered that she had come to the auction today to get the T*ng tri-colored porcelain bowl! Compared to the harmonious atmosphere in the room where Janet was staying, the atmosphere in Nathaniel’s private room was rather gloomy.

When Quintina saw him enter the door, she stood up angrily, walked up to him, and complained with a grievance.

“Brother, what’s wrong with you? How could you not protect Mom and me in such a situation? How can you say that to me? Are you still my brother?”

However, he ignored her and found the best view to sit in.

Winifred also felt extremely annoyed. She moved closer to Nathaniel and asked,

“Son, I clearly remember that Janet was in poverty when she married into our family. How did she suddenly become the chairman of the Longfellow Group? What’s going on?”

“Humph! That woman might have been kept as a mistress by a man! I wondered why poor people like her would be willing to let go of such a powerful family like us. It turns out that she has already found a way out!”

Quintina hated Janet a long time ago. Because of what happened today, she was angrier than ever.

She did not hesitate to speculate Janet was the mistress of somebody because she didn’t want to admit that Janet was nobler

than her.

Winifred nodded and said, “I agree! Wasn’t Conrad in charge of the Longfellow Group before? I guess this little b*tch has climbed into Conrad’s bed! Conrad needs someone to help him gain a firm foothold, and Janet’s surname happens to be

Longfellow. The two of them get together…”

The more Winifred spoke, the more she felt that her guess was reasonable.

“It must be like this! How dare she! How dare she c**kold my brother? Bah!”

Quintina was p*ssed off by this guessing and scolded Janet fiercely. Nathaniel’s expression turned livid, and he couldn’t believe

that these words came from his mother and sister.

“Watch your words. No matter who Janet is, you shouldn’t slander others like that.”

Nathaniel’s voice was not loud, but his cold tone made Quintina and his mother stop talking.

Nathaniel was in a bad mood.

He suddenly thought of something. Why hadn’t he touched Janet during their three years of marriage, and didn’t he fall in love with her?

After a moment, he thought of something.

It was probably because he realized that Janet had tricked him into getting married.

Such a scheming woman was the one he hated the most.

Winifred stole a glance at her son. Even though they were usually afraid of Nathaniel, thinking of what happened just now, she still mumbled,

“I thought you might be able to communicate with the chairman of the Longfellow Group. Who knew that it would be Janet? What bad luck!”

“I’m divorced from her.” Nathaniel picked up the teacup prepared for the auction and took a sip to suppress the strange feeling in his heart, “Whether she’s poor or rich, it has nothing to do with me. Don’t make trouble for her anymore.”

Winifred slammed the table harshly.

“No way!”

She had not vented her anger today. How could she agree to let it go?

“Janet made me so embarrassed today. I won’t let her off no matter what!”

“That’s right! I didn’t expect Janet, who used to pretend to be weak and gentle, to be such a vicious woman! Thinking of being tricked by such a woman for three years makes me angry!”

Quintina hurriedly agreed with her mother.

Hearing that, Nathaniel slammed the teacup in his hand on the small rosewood tea table next to him.

Winifred and Quintina instantly fell silent.

“I’ll say it again. You shall remember your identity! You won’t get your credit card if something like today happens again!”

Nathaniel’s voice was full of undisguised coldness. His decisive attitude showed that he was not joking with them and was

outraged.

Winifred and Quintina looked at each other in dismay.

Would he take away their credit card?

No way!

“Don’t!” Winifred blurted out. “Okay, son. We’ll listen to you and not cause trouble for Janet!”

“I’ll listen to you, brother. Don’t be angry! We’re a family. Why are you angry with us?”

Quintina walked up to him, took his arm, and gently shook it, acting like a spolled girl.

However, when Nathaniel looked at her hands on his arm, he felt a chill in his heart.

His mother and sister were both greedy. He could not feel any warmth in such a family.

He felt his family was much colder than when Janet was with him.

Thinking of the past, Nathaniel felt his headache was getting worse.