chapterr 5 The proposal

That night, Dhani was describing the arrangements for the wedding. Sometimes praising, occasionally criticizing about it. Sanjana was keeping her head on her lap and listening to her Nani with interest as she was telling some fairy tale to her.

  Then she described the relatives and their issues and then to her favorite part that is the wedding lehenga  (bridal dress) of the bride as she was always fascinated by lehenga. Dhani Chauhan doesn’t like any lehengas to date, some lehengas she found too godly, some color doesn’t impress him. She liked no bridal dress.

  Sanjana laughed at her descriptions and asked her Nani ma “ Nani, you like no bridal dress and do you have any specific bridal dress in your mind?”

“ Hmmm, your mother once took part in a designing contest in her college days. You know she won the best bridal dress design prize too. When I saw the design on paper, it mesmerized me. I didn’t tell her but I decided I will make that lehenga her bridal wear and surprise her. But she never gave me a chance.”

  Sanjana hugged her more from her waist. Dhani laughed at her antics, she hold her tears at bay and patted her head 

 “ Don’t worry now. I will design that lehenga for my gudiya. You know I still kept the design.“ 

“Can you show me nani, please... Please “

   “ No, you have that as a surprise and also as a blessing from your mother at your wedding, ok. 

Now good night and sleep. “

   Dhani kissed her cheek and left for her room.

The next morning was a usual morning routine as they all got ready and entered the dining room. As the clock struck 9 the whole family gathered to have breakfast on the dining table. Mr Paresh Chauhan and his wife were greeted by their son, daughter-in-law, grandsons, and granddaughter in the dining room..

The breakfast was always a silent meal for The Family, as it well known the temper issues of senior Chauhan to the family. After breakfast, Mr Parmesh Chauhan ordered his family to meet him in his study to discuss some family matters. But the family members know very well that they are called to inform or order something because the senior Chauhan left no room for discussion. For him, whatever he wants or does is always for the best for his family. 

Sanjana started sweating while fidgeting with her dupatta, as she was not getting any good vibes about this so-called discussion. After everyone entered the study, they locked the door as they didn’t want the house staff to listen to their discussion. 

“I want to talk to you all about the decision that I made for Sanjana. As Sanjana is going to complete her post-graduation soon, I have fixed her wedding with Shimla’s renowned Batra family. Mr K.N.Batra is a high court advocate and a very respected person for Shimla. His elder son Rohan Batra has done an MBA in international business and is presently running his own textile business in Chandigarh. I met this family on my last month's trip to the Shimla law council meeting .”

“But her graduation is still incomplete, and for marriage, her consent is also very important.”Mrs Chauhan interrupts her husband’s talk.

“The Batra family is coming tomorrow evening to meet our family and specially meet Sanjana.. If they agree I am sure that they will, we will decide an auspicious date for their engagement that will be done within this month and the wedding will be held after her final exam that is hardly three months from now. “

“ I want all of you to be present tomorrow and I will not tolerate any kind of mistake or improper behavior.”

“ But please ....” Mrs Chauhan again tried to say something, but he cut her off.