chapter four.

chapter four. Family Dinner Gone Wrong.

third person POV

-- --

"How was Kayla 101 today?" Astrid asked her male best friend while Mac was off in the locker room taking care of his revenge.

"It was interesting," Bear sighed, "definitely felt like a newbie out there."

"You'll get the hang of it," Astrid assured the teen before Mac walked over, gazing mostly towards the ash blonde.

"Hey," Mac greeted Bear before turning his attention towards Astrid, "you ready?"

"Yup," Astrid nodded her head, returning the smile that Mac shot her. "I'll see you later, Bear."

"Do I wanna know what kind of trouble you two are getting into?" Bear questioned jokingly while part of him was slightly stunned and confused that Mac was already getting super close to his best friend.

"Just a friendly dinner with his family since my dad is out meeting up with some olde friends tonight," Astrid explained the harmless dinner they were about to attend.

"Yeah, more like an apology dinner after I was a jerk," Mac added on, not giving too much away because Mac didn't know who all at the ice rink knew about her cancer diagnosis.

"I'm watching you two," Bear eyed the friend duo suspiciously, raising an eyebrow in the process. "Have a good night...."

"You too," Astrid replied before her and the Canadian were on their way out of the arena. "Okay, so random question..."

"Mhm?" Mac hummed, waiting for the question, while the pair walked out of the building side by side.

"You won't tell Kayla about me having cancer, right?" Astrid wondered in a curious tone. "It's just I don't want her hearing it from someone else because I will tell her... eventually, I promise. Just not right this second. I want more time with her before she-."

"Pulls a me and tries to be overly nice when in reality it's not what you need," Mac finished for the girl, knowing what she was trying to say.

"Yeah..."

"These lips are sealed," Mac figuratively zipped his lips shut with his fingers, "it's like you said how it wasn't your place to tell Sky's life story... it's not my place to tell Kayla or anyone else your business."

"Thank you," Astrid breathed out with a small smile formed onto her pale lips. "I'll tell her, just not for a little bit."

"Take as much time as you need," Mac assured the girl in a soft tone, "don't feel like you have to tell her right now. When you feel like it's the right time, you'll know."

"Did you just become wise for like point two seconds?" Astrid joked causing Mac to let out a small laugh.

"I think I did," Mac replied, wrapping his arm around her shoulders before they began to talk about random things as they walked towards his place. "Got a guest," Mac announced as he walked into his living room first while Astrid closed the front door.

"Hey, Mrs. MacBent- I mean Jenny," Astrid smiled as she came into view, "hi there, Coach MacBentley."

"Sven?" Kayla called out in shock as she stared at Mac and Astrid with a curious and confused look.

"Sky? Ava?" Astrid respond back as she noticed Kayla, Ava, and Sky standing in the kitchen next to one another while Anton stood off to the side.

"Yeah, so we don't usually let the kids eat this stuff," Luke announced to the room as he brought in the pizza boxes that the family had ordered once they realized how many people were joining them for dinner.