chapter sixteen.

chapter sixteen.

third person POV

-- --

Astrid watched from beside Jenny, Mac's mother, nervously biting her nails as the game pressed on. Jenny grasped onto Astrid's free hand as they watched Mac flip over a player, landing hard on the ice. "Mac, come on..." Astrid mumbled lowly so only herself and Mrs. MacBentley could hear. Wincing in pain, the two women watched Mac slowly get back up and obtain the puck- scoring it almost instantly. Tying the game up with five minutes and nine seconds to go, Astrid was still nervous. While she had full faith Mac could score again, she was worried for a few reasons. The first one being, Mac wouldn't be able to do enough to impress the hockey coach and ruin his chances of going pro and secondly, she was worried the hockey coach would place too many men after Mac and it would result in an injury from all his flips and hard crashes with the ice.

Jenny and Astrid were clung to one another side as they watched the last five minutes trickle away. Both girl wincing as the Hammers were slammed into the boards and the ground by the Wolverines. "Come on, Mac!" Astrid shouted into the silent crowd as she watched her boyfriend- well now ex-boyfriend- skate down the ice with the puck. Astrid was standing up, her hand still hanging on to Jenny's as she watched Mac fire the shot towards the net- everyone in the stadium holding their breath. All Hammer fans, players, and coaches began cheering as the goal was made by their star player, MacBentley. Racing down the stadium seats and heading towards their bench, Astrid made a mad dash for her father- enveloping him into a giant celebratory hug to congratulate them on their major win that would place them higher in the seeding for the cup.

Mac shouted for the girl once he saw her hugging her father- his heartbeat skipping a small beat as he laid eyes on her. Henrik let his daughter go, knowing he was slowly becoming second to his new star player and part of him was okay with that because he saw how much Mac cared for his daughter- something he hadn't seen from any boy that has had a crush on her. Astrid went to rush onto the ice but stopped at the very edge of the barrier; not wanting to step onto the ice with her street shoes and end up falling on her behind again. While Astrid thought Mac would come to her and step onto the safe secure, non slippery flooring, she was indeed wrong. Instead,  the hockey player grabbed her hands softly and pulled her into his chest so he could wrap his arms around her waist. The male MacBentley picked her up softly and spun them in a small circle on the ice before placing her back down- ensuring that she would not fall over and embarrass herself in front of everyone. 

"I knew you could do it, drama queen," Astrid mumbled lowly as she stared up into Mac's eyes with a warm smile pressed against her lips while her hands rested comfortably on his forearms. Mac chuckled softly as he stroked the side of her face, brushing away any fly away hair strands. "Listen, Mac, um-." Before Astrid could try and explain herself about why she really broke up with him, the latter leaned down- closing the space between them- and placed a gentle but sweet kiss upon her pale pink lips. Smiling into the kiss, Astrid tried her best to soak up the memories with him before he left for Prague. 

Mac knew he shouldn't have kissed the girl since she broke up with him, but he knew that she only did it to help his decision about staying or going. Right now MacBentley needed his best friend, his girlfriend, his soulmate.

"Gross, Mac," Nico fake gagged as he skated passed the pair causing them to pull apart. Astrid chuckled while Mac rolled his eyes before the ash blonde spoke up, "this doesn't change anything, Mac..." Astrid sighed as she patted his chest softly in hopes to remind him of their talk. "You can't kiss me anymore because you have Prague to go to. I will be okay."

"Screw Prague."

"Mac," Astrid shook her head no. "You are going to Prague. With a performance like that, he'd be crazy to not offer you a spot."