chapter eight.

chapter eight. Stolen Notebook.

third person POV

-- --

The next morning following the icebreaker, Astrid was off at her chemotherapy treatment while Mac was stressing out. Kayla and Jacob were at the ice rink, getting ready for their big day, thanks to Sky for letting them in with her mother's key. Mac reached for his phone after he destroyed his bedroom, knocking almost everything over as he checked his bag for the notebook. "Good morning, drama queen," Astrid greeted her phone call with a little smirk as she waited for the nurse to call her back.

"Ast," Mac breathed out in a low shaky tone as he tried to catch his breathe. "Ast... I-I-."

"Woah, hey," Astrid sat up straighter in her chair as she began to worry about Mac, "what's wrong?"

"It's gone..."

"What? What's gone?"

"The- the," Mac paused as he tried to catch his breath, "the notebook."

"What?" Astrid shook her head, "what do you mean it's gone? You had it with you last night after the icebreaker right? Where did you put it after that?"

"I- I-," Mac hesitated, "I don't know... it's not in my bag and- and this morning at breakfast...."

"What happened at breakfast?" Astrid questioned as a nurse came out and called for her to come back. Astrid got up, slowly walking towards the woman as Mac explained how Carson told him some cryptic message that mentioned "on page" and the young teen knows he was talking about the notebook. "Okay so there's only a few things you can do now..."

"Don't say to tell your dad."

"Tell my dad," Astrid muttered causing Mac to let out a frustrated sigh. "Wait, aren't you supposed to be at the facility soon?"

"Oh no," Mac groaned, rubbing his hand over his face.

"Hey, just calm down, okay," Astrid softly spoke as she sat down in the chair and let the nurse use her right arm to set up for the treatment. "I have an idea but you might not like it..."

"I can't tell your dad or Hammarström."

"Talk to Bear," Astrid advised the teen, "tell him what happened. He'll help you with a plan, I know he will."

"No," Mac shook his head, "No one can know what I did. I'm one more strike away from being back in Canada."

"It's gonna be okay," Astrid stressed once again, "umm, what about tweaking the plays. Like before you use them, tell a different player to take the shot versus that the game plan said... like switch people around without Hammarström knowing."

"I don't think that's possible with him..."

"You have to try," Astrid stated with a sigh, "there's not much else you can do..." Astrid winced as she heard Mac let out a frustrated yell. "I have to go, but you got this... I'll see you later."

"Good luck with your thing today," Mac sighed before hanging up the phone. The teen raced over to the ice skating rink, banging into everything when he arrived to the facility. Mac walked into the locker room, hearing the game plan that he gave away to the other team. Mac winced as he knew this wasn't going to go well, but he couldn't afford to spill the truth to Hammarström.

Mac grabbed a juice from Sky, paying her, before ignoring his sister and her best friend as he stole an empty table. Mac's leg was bouncing up and down while he read over Astrid's messages of how to potentially fix his mistake. Mac clicked his phone off as he heard someone come up from behind and take the seat across from him. "I messed up, like bad," Mac informed his sister, Kayla.