CHAPTER EIGHT

"Oh my god, you're alive." The relief I felt seeing him alive was surreal. I rushed over to him, closing the door behind me. Derek stood up too and I threw my arms around his neck, hugging him. He stiffened for a moment before wrapping his arms around me. It might sound cliché but the weakness I felt was slowly fading away.

"I got your voicemails." He mumbled in my hair making me break the hug. He held me by my arms as his eyes inspected the sight of me. "You didn't change."

"No, I didn't. Nothing happened, except I got some terrible nosebleed and vomited some black tar." I explained and as if on cue my stomach churned again. An emotion crossed Derek's features. An emotion I have never thought I would see on him, fear. And for once he didn't bother to hide it. "You know what that means, don't you?" I asked him wearily and he nodded.

"That means your body is rejecting the bite." He muttered quietly. When I continued staring at him confused, he continued. "There is a saying, if the bite doesn't change you, it...."

He hesitated to tell me anymore, so I countered him, "What happens if the bite doesn't change me?"

"It kills you." He uttered quietly while I stood there rooted on my spot. Was I dying?

I then started panicking. "I—I don't want to die, Derek. I want to live. I am supposed to graduate from high school, go to college, get married, have kids. I am supposed to grow old. I—"

Derek cupped my face in his palms. "Hey, hey. Shh. You didn't die, okay? You're not gonna die." He tried to console me, even though he seemed unconvinced himself. I stared at him with tears in my eyes. A few days ago, I saw him getting impaled by an alpha. I had thought I would never see him again. And now, I don't have any idea how long I have to live. That moment I did it. If I die today, I'd have so many regrets. But I can reduce only one.

I stood on my toes and placed my lips on his. He stood stunned but after a few seconds moved his lips against mine. He kissed me slowly and passionately, as if pouring out some unsaid emotions into it. We eventually broke the kiss, panting heavily. My eyes were closed as I came down from the high. Derek placed his forehead against mine as he spoke softly against my lips. "I am not letting you die."

The moment was cut short when my stomach lurched again. I rushed into the bathroom, emptying all the contents of my stomach into the toilet bowl. After I finished, Derek silently helped my clean up and then tucked me in bed.

"You're staying?" I asked, my voice weak like the rest of my body. He nodded before flopping on the computer chair. I slowly closed my eyes, falling into a deep sleep.

That night I dreamt about the woods. I was in a little clearing in the middle of the woods. There was a large three stump and on the stump stood a huge black wolf. As it stared down at me with its glowing red eyes, a voice echoed through the forest.

The next morning when I woke up, Derek was gone and here was a note on my study table.

I had to leave. You know, right now I am a most wanted fugitive. You didn't die, thankfully. Even Scott didn't kill anyone last night.

I smiled to myself as I went to the washroom to get ready. After peeling off my clothes, my eyes moved to my shoulder. I gently peeled off the bandage covering the wound and saw clear flawless skin.

*

Late night, in a deserted road, I was driving Derek's sexy black Camaro with bitch Kate Argent chasing us.

"Faster?" I asked Stiles, who was sitting on the backseat and kept stealing glances at the car behind.

"Yeah, much faster." He answered and I pressed the accelerator further. The faster I went; the another car still managed to reach up to us.