CHAPTER NINE

The leaves crunched under my feet as I made my way through the woods. Not long after, the familiar half burnt house came into view. I stopped before it, thinking about the reason of my arrival here. I closed my eyes tightly as the memory of last night came running back. Apparently, Derek and Peter paid Scott a little visit, where Derek indirectly announced him being on Peter's side now. That thought was unsettling enough to drag me into the lion's den. Plus, I needed answers.

With the determination I opened my eyes, and I was met with green eyes staring intently at me. Suddenly I didn't feel confident enough. "What are you doing here?" He breathed. He was so close to me that his breathe fanned on my lips, making my thoughts go haywire. I took a step back., putting some distance between us. As much as I am attracted towards him, now we needed to have a serious conversation.

"Scott told me what happened last night." I started, looking at his eyes as I tried to find any emotion. As usual, his eyes remained blank. "I get he's your only family and you need to trust him. I get he's killing people for some revenge. But just tell me one thing, are you sure he won't kill you like he killed your sister?"

Derek remained silent for a few moments before finally speaking. "Killing Laura was a mistake. He didn't know what he was doing."

I scoffed at his words. "How do you kill your niece and not know what you're doing? Derek, your uncle tried to kill all of us. Worse, he wanted Scott to kill us. He literally made my brother's life miserable. And now he turned me into something I have no explanation about. How can you trust him?" I raised my voice, not caring if I was being pathetic. Derek didn't say anything, instead stood there with a stoic expression. I waited for his answer but it never came. And it settled in me that Derek and Peter actually wanted the same thing. I continued. "You don't really care, do you?"

"That's not the point, Scarlett. Those people are the murderers of my entire family. And I'm gonna take any chance I get to avenge them." Derek gritted his teeth. I could tell he was getting aggressive, so I backed off. There's no way I could make him stop working with Peter. I mean, why would listen to me on the first place.

"Fine." I mumbled before turning my back towards him. I was about to take a step forward when he grabbed my elbow and pulled me towards him, making me crash on his chest. He leaned in and for a moment and I thought he was about to kiss me again but instead he sniffed me.

"You smell different." He mumbled.

For a moment I thought I stink. But then realized he was talking about the change of my scent, meaning I was no more a human. "Like a werewolf?" I asked quietly. Derek took another deep sniff before releasing me and taking a step back.

"No, it's different than a werewolf's. It's like a fragrance, pure and alluring." He paused to look into my eyes. I had no idea how my change of scent would define my supernatural status. Then Derek continued. "And strong. Whatever you are, it's different than something I have ever seen."

*

Later that evening, I was sprawled on my bed, the conversation with Derek replaying in my mind. Scott was out, keeping eye on Allison and mom came home a few hours ago and since then she was locked up in her room. I had no idea what Derek meant by my scent being alluring or pure and for once I wasn't keen on finding out. As long as it wasn't causing any troubles to me or people around me, I was okay. What I wasn't okay about, was my equation with Derek now. None of us talked about the kiss and I was not really sure what it meant.

The slight knock on my door broke my chain of thoughts. My gaze snapped at the door to see my mom peeking her head in. As she entered inside, I noticed she wasn't in her usual scrubs or pjs. She had a blazer over a black top with her hair and makeup beautifully done. She looked gorgeous.