2. Unhinged

If I thought men weren't shit in real life, they were even worse online.

"Are you sure you're trying?" Hyacinthe asked as we walked through a flower garden to get ideas for her wedding.

If I didn't think she was being completely genuine with the question, I would've thought she was throwing shade.

"Girl." I replied, holding up my phone to let her hear one of the corny ass prompt responses a guy had posted with his profile.

I'd already thought about deleting my profile altogether, but then I really wouldn't be trying.

"Poor thing, he was cute." She shook her head with a laugh and turned back to the flowers to catch a whiff.

"Exactly what I'm saying. All I want is a date to the wedding that has a personality and a big d—" My words trailed off as a familiar man popped up. "Holy shit."

My best friend turned with a raised eyebrow before coming closer to look at my phone. The phone that currently had Eli's profile on it.

Shock had us both quiet as I looked through the pictures and responses on his profile.

He was... different, but in a good way. In a refreshing way.

The years had definitely been good to him because he'd lost all the last of the boyish features and softness he still had in college. Now, there was an even sharper jawline and strong afrocentric features.

This Eli wasn't the same as the one I'd wanted to know back in college.

This Eli was built with wide shoulders and a well muscled body that showed he was no stranger to the gym. His beard was kept and close to his face, and his dark skin was smooth and unblemished. 

Even his hair had changed since most pictures featured him with a temp fade rather than his usual waves.

But those full lips and deep brown eyes were the same.

And when I came across a picture of him smiling at the camera, I just knew he made women's hearts skip a beat.

Exactly what I didn't need right now.

"I'm just gonna—" I started, moving my finger to tap the "X" icon before my phone was completely snatched from my hand. "Hey!"

But Hyacinthe was already on the move as she ran away from me. We were closing in on our thirties, but I swore she had the energy of a teenager.

If I find out that love has steroids in it, I might be willing to fall a few times just to make partner.

Still, I rushed after her like bickering children in the park.

"Hyacinthe!" I whisper shouted, noticing the stares but also too worried to stop.

As she ran, I noticed her about to tap a button that would surely make my life way more complicated than necessary. So out of sheer necessity, I tackled her.

"Ow!" We both groaned as I fell on top of her, but that didn't stop me from snatching my phone back.

Except as soon as I opened my phone, I realized the damage had already been done. A defeated sigh escaped my lips as I thought about all the ways this could make things awkward.

If he didn't like me back, he'd probably think I'm secretly harboring feelings for him. Which I wasn't.

Well, maybe just a couple regrets.

Either way, we'd be tiptoeing around each other for the inevitable future. And tiptoeing had never been my style.

I preferred to stomp my way around.