The Wife

I decided to drive as Bonnie was uncontrollably shaking. It was not that I didn't have a similar reaction. Everything in my body felt numb, but something in my brain was overtaking all my worries, so I could keep operating. I could stop at each light, follow all the speed limits, and stop at every stop sign as I got to the care center. I could even parallel park at the parking stop right across the entrance, something I typically couldn't do, but I wanted to get Bonnie in as soon as possible, so nothing felt like a challenge today.

The sun was rising above us, the sky reaching in pink, gold, and purple at its dispersed shine, and the crisp morning air making breathing easier and lighter. Though I wasn't sure how much credit could be given to it. We had another reason to breathe easier.

"You go in first!" I suggested as we got closer to Nick's room. "He'll be dying to see you, I am sure."

"Okay, okay." Bonnie breathed. By his room, I saw Jen pacing outside, her inexperienced face filled with worry.

Bonnie ran up to Jen, and she led her into the room, giving me a quick view of one of Nick's machines causing me to extend my neck. I just wanted to catch a glimpse of Nick but with no luck. The door automatically shut behind Bonnie.

I took Jen's position as I paced back and forth, waiting for some news, but nothing came for what felt like hours, though who could tell how much time passed in reality? My brain bounced at all the scenarios that could occur when I showed up before my best friend of sixteen years, most of which included him not caring that I was even there. Was he going to remember me? Or will he just be looking for Melissa? What if he didnt even care that I was there? How would I feel about pining over him for the past two years if that were the case? That didn't matter, I told myself. As long as Nick was healthy and awake, I could bear him not remembering me any day. I wouldn't care how he acted toward me if he got better.

"Hey," Lucky stopped me in my tracks, looking wary.

"Hey," I said, slightly shocked to see another human here.

"You heard about Nick, I am assuming?" Lucky asked.

"Yup, giving Bonnie some time to talk to him."

"He isn't talking much. He is only able to mumble a few words." Lucky informed me, causing my heart to hit the bottom of my stomach.

"You checked him? How is he doing?" I quickly asked.

"Yeah, that was the call I got when talking to you. Nick is doing well, but as expected, he is a bit confused and can't move or talk fully yet." Lucky informed me.

"And that's a good thing? How can that be? He is up now. He should be able to talk and walk." I yelled, not happy about this new bit of information.

"May, this isn't like the movies where once a coma patient wakes up, he is up and running. Nick hasn't used his body, voice, and maybe even brain for the last two years. He will need some help and lots of therapy. He still may not be 100 percent." He matter-a-factly said, like this fact wasn't a big deal for me, someone waiting for Nick to be up since his accident.

"But he is up. That has to mean he's healed and ready to live normally. Right?" I argued.

"Not necessarily, but he is already talking a little. It's hard to understand, but it's a good sign nonetheless. He asked for his mother, another good sign."

"Does he understand what's being said to him?" worry replaced the relief I felt earlier.

"Yes, I am not seeing any issues, but..."

"But?"

"For the time being? I suggest you steer clear. Don't go into that room." Lucky suggested, looking past me, clearly trying not to meet my eyes. Did he think I couldn't handle seeing Nick?