Moving on and Away

I walked towards Cider's door a few times. I did not want to run into Jen or Lucky this morning. I was not ready for this conversation. So I stalled till I could, doing mental math on where both Lucky and Jen would be this morning. Jen was probably getting ready to leave, so she was in the locker room, and Lucky was probably getting his morning coffee. Unless they were both in Lucky's office, cheating on me. Either way, I could avoid them both.

I checked in with Kim for my schedule and dashed as fast as I could to Nick's room, where I was to spend most of my day because Nick had physical therapy today.

"Hello," Nick chirped at me. He was already sitting and doing some paperwork.

"What are you doing?" I asked, taking a seat on the second empty chair across from him.

"Finishing paperwork for my release!" He exclaimed.

"What? They are releasing you?" I asked, shocked. He shook his head and beamed at me. "Wow, when?"

"In a week, depending on how therapy goes today, but my confusion is so much better, which was the main thing they were concerned about. Plus since you came back, I've had a few really good days. So when I suggested it this morning to your asshole he got Nurse Kim to give me the release paperwork. He said since I was already walking better before the surgery I got for my hip and it is healing marvelously according to him. So no need for me to be here!"

"Well, that's great. You let me know what day and I'll take off and make sure everything runs smoothly." I beamed back at him.

"As soon as I find out, you'll be the first to know."

"Make me second or third. Melissa and Bonnie first." I asked.

"Well they don't work here so aren't really all that useful to me, so I'll talk to you first, or am I not allowed to make that decision either," he irritably said.

"Alright, alright. Tell me first. Don't get upset! Save that energy for your therapy." I calmly said and my words seem to have an effect. His flaring nostrils which were filled with smoke, contracted back, and his wide eyes reduced to their original size.

"Melissa isn't coming. Said she had something to take care of today, so it's just you and I," Nick informed me.

"Ok—"odd, Melissa didn't mention anything to me—"Hector was supposed to make your oatmeal for breakfast today, did you eat it."

"Yup," he said pointing to the empty bowl on his bedside stand. "Oatmeal, my favorite food." He sarcastically said.

I laughed, "knew you would like it. You finished it so I am guessing it's growing on you."

"Hector is a better cook than you! The last time you made it, it tasted like gruel. His was edible."

"I was 14 years old when I made it for you! I am an excellent cook now!" I yelled in my defense.

"Sure, I believe you," he rolled his eyes. I found the nearest object to me, a paper with nutrient facts about certain foods. I turned it into a paper ball and threw it squarely at his chest.

"Once you are home, I'll cook for you!" I determinedly said. "You'll go crazier than you already are after eating my food!"

"Okay deal, but just cook for me. Melissa never has anything nice to say to you unless you're doing something for her, and I don't want to share my food with anyone else. Especially not with a guy you swap spit with." Nick seriously said.

"Eww and hey, that's not true. Melissa—"Was she only ever nice to me when she needed something?—"She has changed a lot in the past two years!" Was all I could say as I mulled over Nick's accusation towards his ex-fiancée.