Finally, the Truth

My brain was buzzing as I sat on a dirty old porch chair outside of Melissa's apartment. I hadn't called or texted her, but as soon as lunchtime hit I dashed out of Ciders and towards her place. She was usually home! Today, however, she was stuck in traffic coming back from the airport. It wasn't a particularly hot day, but somehow I managed to sweat through my clothes.

Melissa certainly milked the situation. She didn't know why I was there, but somehow I was convinced she was making me wait on purpose. To punish me for not telling her the truth earlier.

Finally, just as the sun hit its highest point, my best (girl)friend walked towards me.

"Where have you been?" I yelled at her, as she ran up to me and engulfed me into a hug.

"Sorry, sorry!" She let go of me. "I went shopping after. I needed some socks."

"Socks? Mel, I've been waiting for you for almost an hour. Your socks couldn't wait?"

"Nope, I literally have none. They are all ripped!" She shrugged and stayed digging into her big bag.

"Mel!" I yelled trying to get her attention.

"What?" she yelled back but ultimately stopped what she was doing.

I took a deep breath and exhaled because my heart had started to go berserk. "He is up!" I quickly said.

The bag she was fiddling with dropped on the floor! "Wh....what?"

"Nick, he is up," I repeated just in case there was any confusion.

"When? Why didn't you just tell me on the phone? Is he...."

"He is okay, just still a bit confused. He doesn't remember things correctly. But he is walking slightly now." I informed her.

"Now? What do you mean now...how long has he been up?"

"Umm, a few months, but Bonnie told me not to tell too many people. He was just so confused that she didn't want to confuse him further with more people..." lame excuse, and shit of me to throw Bonnie under the bus, but she was one of the main reasons I didn't say anything.

"She thought it was okay for you to know, but not me? I am his fiancée!" She screamed.

"He didn't remember you, Mel." I softly said. "Every time I bought up your name—and I did as much as I could" I added. "He just didn't remember."

Melissa's eyes welled up with big fat tears, and her chin began to quiver. "Fine, then I guess I don't need to care or see him. I'll just let him be! I won't remember him from now on too!" She cried.

"Don't take it personally! He has a brain injury, sweetheart!" I said, taking her back into my arms, and my shirt instantly became wet with her tears.

"He really didn't remember me?"

"I won't lie to you, in the beginning, he didn't,  but today, Mel, today he asked for you! He told me he remembered that you were his fiancée, but then he forgot again—it's the injury you know—but I think he wants to see you! I want you to come to see him when you're ready!" I rambled.

"I am ready now," she said, letting go of me. "I want to talk to him! Now!" She demanded.

****

"Good, you ate all the food!" I said, as soon as I walked into the room, that was the first thing I checked. Same as usual because I wasn't nervous now. I was ready for the truth to be out.

"I did, do I get a reward?" He said from his bed, puckering his lips.

"Yes! You get the truth," I said, walking up to him and placing my hand on his lips. "Don't talk till I am done, okay?"