CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

~

C L A R I S S A

~

"I apologise in advance." Is the first thing I say as Artie takes my hand and helps me from the car.

"It'll be fine." Artie replies, holding my hand tightly.

The morning had gone down well. Artie had gone out with my father, and Mum and I had enjoyed a breakfast together in peace. She didn't mention Artie once. Which I cannot tell if that's good or bad. Once those two came back, Mum cooked them breakfast whilst I got ready. Of course Mum made sure to "kindly remind" me to put something on my "awful, tired eye-bags". Cow. As she requested, I dressed into a white long, maxi dress that flows down my arms. The sleeves on the dress remind me of doilies. Artie looks lovely though. He's made an effort, wearing checkered suit pants, a long-sleeved white polo-like shirt, and the same white trainers as yesterday. His hair isn't as gelled, but still really neat.

"You look lovely." Artie tells me, bringing his lips to my cheek. He releases a breath and I notice the shakiness on the exit.

"Are you nervous?"

"A little." He mumbles, clutching my hand tightly again.

We take the stairs up the entrance of the establishment. I run my fingers over his hand as we enter, hoping it will soothe him.

"Carole!" My mother's family begin calling her over, greeting her with hugs and kisses.

"How the devil are you, old girl?" My Uncle Geoffrey asks.

"I'm great!" Mum replies. "How's work going?"

"Well, Boris–"

I switch off. Last thing I want to hear right now is some posh, rich folk discuss politics like the world owes them something. I turn away and walk towards the bar.

"Is that my little Callie?" I hear once I've turned.

"Oh, Grandad, hi!" I smile. "I'm just heading to the bar."

"Good idea, love." He chuckles, following Artie and I to the wooden bar across the room. "Who's this then?"

"This is my new boyfriend." I say, specifying the word so he knows this is something that is legit. "Artie." I add, dropping his hand.

"Hello, Sir." Artie greets him, giving him a handshake. "It's nice to meet you."

"It's lovely to meet you too, young man." He pulls his hand away and rests it across my shoulders. "I'm glad you got rid of that Eddie boy. He was a 'reyt insufferable sod."

I chuckle, hiding my face a little. "I thought everyone was pissed when I left him."

"Nah, just your mother and grandmother. He use to do my head in."

"Why didn't you say?"

"He was your boyfriend and I could see he made you happy and that's all a grandfather wants for his grandchildren." He says, waving at the barman to get his attention. "But now he's gone, I'll be honest with you and tell you I think he was a jumped-up little snotty twat."