Chapter 14

(Champagne Problems By Taylor Swift)

Foolish's Pov

TW - Talks Of Abuse

"You were almost married?" I asked her once I started to drive. She looked over at me, pulling her legs up onto the seat, and sitting in a ball.

"I was." She answered, and I felt my heart drop.

"Is that why you need to think about if you want to be with me?"

"Yes Noah. It haunts me." She closed her eyes, the smell of champagne filling the car. She smelled like champagne, and yet I loved it. I loved it because it was her.

"What happened, if you don't mind me asking." I stopped at a red light, and looked over at her. She looked up at me, covered in my jacket again because she was cold. Her heels were on the floor, as was her purse.

"I met him when I was 15." Her eyes closed, and I felt my stomach turn. I pulled over on the side of the road, and put the car into park, so I could listen to her speak.

"My mother had just passed away in the line of fire at her job, and he showed up and let me lean on him. He was perfect. I got to get all of my emotions out, and he was always there for me." She opened her eyes, looking over at me. She turned to face me, and leaned on the center console.

"He was perfect to me, and we got engaged when I turned 19." The tears were filling her eyes. I reached my hand over, and grabbed her hand in mine.

"My father died-" The sob racked her body, and I felt my heart break. Everything made sense. Only child, and why no parents would visit her. She was alone.

"My father died when I was 20, in a military training accident, one month before my wedding." The tears didn't stop. I brought my free hand up, and wiped her tears away with my thumb. She flinched at first, but then relaxed.

"When he came back from work, he told me to get over it. And once my father died, he became abusive." I clenched my jaw, and she closed her eyes almost like she was reliving it.

"Some days I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. Other days he would be perfectly fine. I called the wedding off, but I still stayed." Her disappointment filled her voice, and it made me upset, as tears started to form in my eyes.

"I didn't love myself enough to leave. My dad died, and I had no time to fully mourn. I wanted to still feel a piece of him, and that was in Florida." She laid her head on my hand, letting me hold it up as she talked to me.

"He would've said 'Smokey, your an absolute idiot.'" She imitated a man's voice, causing her to laugh.

Smokey. Smokey's Bar.

Eryn Blake is Smokey. Smokey's was named after Eryn's nickname from her dad. And with that, the tears fell from my eyes.

"I broke up with him, wanting to move on with my life. That night, he came back to the house." Eryn took a deep breath, and mumbled something under her breath.

"My neighbors called the police, hearing screaming coming from the house, and glass breaking. They showed up, and I was unconscious on the floor." Her deep breath brought me out of the scenario playing in my head of everything going down.

"I woke up in the hospital, and there was an investigation opened. I told them what happened, in detail, and they arrested him." I brushed my thumb across her cheek, and she closed her eyes, once again.

"I had to go to court, and he got five years in prison. They didn't let him have parole after his 3 year mark." I took a deep breath, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"When does he get out?"

"Any day now. I never kept track because I just want to live my life without having to worry about him." She started crying, while I sat there. I got out of the car, and walked over to the passengers side, before opening the door, and wrapping my arms around her. She cried into my shoulder, as people walked by. 

They looked at us with weird looks, but I didn't care. I cared for this girl so deeply I was not going to let some stranger in the way.

"Excuse me? Are you two alright?" A male's voice comes out of the silence. I turned around to face the person, and it was a police officer. I went to speak and Eryn cried louder.

"I lost my engagement ring!" She cried, and I looked at the officer with an upset look.

"I can't find it anywhere, I'm such a terrible fiance." The police officer looked back at me and shook his head with a smile.

"Good luck finding the engagement ring." He patted my back before starting to walk away.

"My wife did the same thing, I had to buy a new one." He chuckled, fully turning away. Eryn looked up at me with a smile, and I shook my head at her.

"You're something else, Eryn Blake." 

880 Words