•11•

I sat back in my seat listening as the engine's soft rumble came to a complete stop, only leaving room for silence and the sound of her soft sighs to fill the car.

Desperate to steal another glance, I turned my attention to where Athena was sleeping in the passengers seat. A soft smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I thought back to the moment I realized she'd drifted off while I was reciting the Spanish poem my pops would always recite when I was a child.

A short laugh escaped me as I thought about how it was her who urged me to say it after a brief mention during a conversation about our childhoods on the ride back. It was amusing how she was so enthusiastic to hear it, and yet she dozed off right in the middle of me saying it.

I reached over, carefully brushing a loose strand from her face and noticed the sleepy pout on her lips. A wave of desire to do something more than a friend would do surged through me, but I quickly reined in the idea.

Not wanting to sit with my increasingly intrusive thoughts any longer, I decided to rip my own bandaid off and come back to reality. I whispered her name gently, careful not to scare her.

"Athena, c'mon." I murmured, my words soft. "Wake up for me."

I watched as a stubborn crease formed between her brows in protest to being woken up. She shifted in her seat, settling into a more comfortable position, making me release a low chuckle. The thought of carrying her crossed my mind, but I quickly realized that wasn't a good idea when I pictured the way she would chew me out once she woke up in bed without the memory of putting herself there.

Baby steps Phoenix.

"We gotta get out now. Please mamas c'mon." I whispered once more softly, feeling my resolve lessen the more I took in how comfortable she was and how beautiful she looked even while asleep.

She moaned drowsily as her hands lazily found her eyes, rubbing them awake.

The erratic beating in my chest stumbled a bit at both the sight and sound. Her hood was now off of her head completely and I could finally see the curly mane she'd been trying to hide since our moment in the bathroom earlier today.

Shaking the weird feeling that was starting to feel less weird the more I was around the stubborn woman, I resumed my effort of letting Athena know that we'd made it back.

"We're home. You ready to get out?" I asked, observing as she faintly nodded her head. She took a short sip of her drink.

"Alright, imma come around to your side and help you out of the truck, aight?" I said, removing my seatbelt and grabbing my keys from the console between us. She softly replied with an "okay" as I was already out of the drivers seat on my way to the passengers side.

Once there, I opened her door wrapping my arm around her waist. Helping her down from the high-set vehicle, I made sure she didn't hurt herself in the process.

"Thank you" I heard a slightly more awake Athena murmur from my side. I nodded replying with a simple "no problem" as we moved toward the elevators inside the entrance of the complex.

As we waited for the elevator, I looked down watching her try her best to keep her head up and eyes open. An amused smile made it's way to my face.

As if she had a seventh sense, Athena's head turned up to look at me. She squinted her eyes giving me a little pout that was too adorable not to laugh at. "Stop laughing at me and tell me what time it is please & thank you."

Amusement still lingering in my expression, I pulled out my phone checking the time.

"It's 1:28."

The elevator announced its arrival with a ding and the doors swiftly opened. Placing one arm on the door, I ushered her in.