•13•

Another day, another assignment due.

I recited that in my head as I packed up my study station. I'd just submitted a 5 page paper on the psychological effects of socioeconomic status and disparities within marginalized communities.

Call me a nerd, but I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Not so much the 5 page part, but more so the learning that went into establishing my points and supporting them with facts and data.

It's such an underrated feeling being able to finally form educated concepts around things you've felt for so long growing up in areas where race determines whether or not you have clean streets or nice stores in your neighborhood. I've always known that hidden agendas and prejudices were the reason behind the "nice parts of town" being where minorities were exactly that— a minority vs. where they were the majority.

If you catch what I'm throwing.

Enough psych talk for now though. I need to get mentally prepared for this project and it is strictly centered around the brain and it's many, many functions. While I do enjoy fun facts about the control center of our body and understanding how it works, hence my major being what it is, I just have the sneaking suspicion that this entire project will be a very... interesting process.

After my date with Ph—wait. That wasn't a date.
Was that a date?

No. If it were a date it would feel like a date and he would've said it's a date.
Right?

You want it to be a date. That inner voice betrayed me.

No.

No I don't. Phoenix and I are friends and so we hung out like friends do.

End of discussion.

I wonder what he's doing right now..
I smiled to myself as I walked the concourse thinking about yesterday.

"See. I'm serious and you jokin' ma." his smooth deep voice sounded, taking in my laughing state from the other side of the camera.

I tried to regain my composure unable to stop the amusement still evident on my face as I took in his shaking head and lifted smile.

Phoenix thought that it would be a great idea to FaceTime while we studied.

I told him no.. twice.

But unsurprisingly, he was adamant on getting his point across that this would keep him focused and that I would be a great help since he was working on a homework assignment for his Intro to Psych class.

So I finally said yes, agreeing only to help him with his work.

We'd actually been very productive... up until about 15 minutes ago when he started listing out reasons why we should do this from now on. His most recent reason in particular had me rolling laughing.

"Phoenix. You're absolutely ridiculous. Trust me you would've been just fine without my help." I said trying to reign in my short giggles.

"I already tried. I was starin at the paper so long the librarian came over to let me know that they got accessibility tutors for students with needs in the SC."

I laughed out loud for what seemed like the hundredth time since we'd been on the call. "No because that's actually so wrong on her part for even assuming that you were a student with needs."  I managed to get out between giggles.

He smacked his teeth "I'm sayin. I should call the school to report an ableist on they staff. Then she'll 'need' a damn job." Phoenix stated, pulling another laugh from me at the emphasis of the word.