Chapter 9 {EDITED}

"E-eh...." I stared at them, my mouth agape from the sudden questioning. I was at a loss of words. I didn't know what to tell them. I was expecting them to ask about it, but why did I never think about my excuse?!

"....This damned brain." I murmured in disdain, and the marshal, seemingly having heard my grumbles, looked at me in askance.

"Young miss Willow, did you say something?" The marshal asked as he stared at me in scrutiny, contemplating my every movement.

Hah, I see how it is. As I was about to reciprocate his intent, my father glared at him as he reprimanded.

"Henry, you're pressuring my daughter." In response, the marshal only sighed, albeit by my father's petulance or defensiveness, I wasn't sure.

"Sorry, sorry. I was merely curious about what she did." The marshal muttered, raising his hands up in surrender. My father only clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes as he sneered.

"Just shut it, Henry." My father then turned to look at me as he said, "Willow, I'm very sorry about him and his.... irritating actions."

"You--!" The marshal was about to retaliate, but my father merely glared at him, as if threatening to kill him if he continued. It seemed to work as he only murmured, "Nevermind....."

"Uh.... it's alright, father." I stuttered, unsure what to say about their conversation.

"Young miss Willow, I'll go back to my first question. How did you defeat the intruders?" The marshal asked once more.

I was taught multiple forms of martial arts in my past life by my uncle, who was a martial arts world championship finalist. Though, I doubt I can just tell them 'Oh, I learned this from my old life in an entirely different universe.', can I?

"I... I saw it. In a dream. I saw a blurred figure perform those moves. I thought they looked cool, so I tried them...."

What kind of excuse is that?!

I inwardly sighed at the lack of plausibility in my words. I'll probably be caught now....

However, my father replied with unexpected words, "That seems reasonable enough. Kids' imaginations are definitely wild. But to think that it would be of help in dire situations like that..."

He.... he really believed that?!

I held in the laughter that dared to erupt from my father's lack of doubt, which instead came out as loud coughs.

"But, something doesn't add up....."

"It's fine, Henry. I believe Willow."

"Alright.... if you say so."

No, you both actually believed that?!

Being honest, I thought that the marshal would knock a peg or two of common sense into my father. Suddenly, a strange idea popped up in my mind.

"Father.... I have a favor to ask." I announced, and both my father and the marshal looked at me with curiosity.

"Yes, go on." My father said, and I heaved a deep breath. Here goes nothing...

"Would you allow me to learn swordsmanship?" As soon as I said that, an awkward silence formed in the atmosphere. Did I do anything unusual...?

"Pardon...? Leo, did you hear the same?"

"Obviously I did, Henry. I'm not as stupid as you." My father replied snarkily as he added, "No, no. Absolutely not. I won't allow you to be at risk of danger again."