Chapter 5

"Hey Casey Cat! Glad to see you're early, your Momma didn't expect till much later" My cousin Andrew pulls me in a hug as I get out of my jeep buggie and I sigh a content sigh, Drew is like the sibling I never had, I'm an only child but Drew was there since I opened my eyes at birth and we're connected like no siblings could be, in high school he had enough of his daddy and he came to stay with us on the farm permanently, we just grew closer. "Yeah I couldn't sleep after about 5 am so I got up en ready to leave, by six I was out the gates!" I finally answered him and I feel his hold tighten "Case, is something bothering you? Has he been bothering you?" I sighed tracking the scar on the length of my thumb, the only resemblance of that ever happening, of my past ever happening...

I pull away "No and no Drew, I just had a lot on my mind is all. Nothing you should worry about, where's Pop? I've been thinking about him lately."  Drew let the previous subject there and chuckled "Pop's still sleepin', he's been taking advantage of getting' older he says, but you know he loves sleep just as much as you do" I chuckle at the truth in those words but before I could respond I heard the voice of my angel mother "Cassandra Macey Evans! Why in the sam heck didn't you let me know you'd driven out so early, it's dangerous!" but the smile on her face gives her motherly instincts the no go, happy that I'm home. I walk into her wide open arms "Hi Momma, I've missed you..." she tightens her vice grip around me "I've missed you too Sweetie!" but the choke I give is more about air than emotion "Mom-ma. Can't-breathe." "Beverly-Anne Hale Evans let my grandbaby suck in some country air before you kill her" my granddaddy sighs exasperatedly  and Momma releases me with a kiss on the cheek and I smile at her before walking to my granddaddy "Hi ya Pop! What's this about sleepin' in my hearin'?" I smirk at him and he snort taking me in for a hug and a kiss on the forehead "Don't believe everything these scallies tell you my darlin'" I chuckle at Pop and turn to Momma "Is Daddy at the horses?" she smiles with a knowing nod.

∞∞∞  

Later that afternoon Drew, Pop and I are fixated on the TV, ready for the football game to begin, I'm a bit nervous of the outcome, hopin' for once my team loses slightly... Okay no, but yes. Momma is the only one to know about my bet with Jake and Jake in general because all three men in my life would go huntin' for Jake Matthews, right after they play a trillion questions about him with me, so no, they don't have to know everything.

As the game start's I feel my phone vibrating from a text I smile when I see the caller ID:

Jake the Great:

Nervous are we Cocoa? Keep a real good eye on the TV, You might see a shirt in your favourite colour ;)

Casey:

Why would I be nervous Blue? I'm on the winnin' team, and what in sam heck are you talking about?

Jake the Great:

Eye's on the TV Case. Every minute.

I questioned him about what he's going on about for a few seconds but I got no reply, I started watchin' the game, clueless of what he means. After the game was over I sat on my seat, sad about my team losing but elated for the date I just betted myself into. I watched as they show the fans at the arena and low and behold there he stands in a blue shirt and dark denim jeans, before I could contain myself it came out "THAT'S JAKE!!! Oh my sweet potatoes that's REALLY Jake!! Momma get over here!! That's JAKE!!!" by the time Momma ran to my side to see, I had a finger on the pause button and a finger on his body on the screen "That's him!!" I exclaimed and Momma giggled "He's mighty handsome, did you know he was goin?" I shook my head no and pressed the play button, what happened next had me in awe struck...

The camera zoomed in on Jake and his friends, none of which I know, so I'm guessing it's friends from home, he smirks and lifts his beer cup as if he's greeting someone, on his red beer cup there was a prominent message; "HI THERE COCOA" then he winks and turn the plastic cup to reveal another message; "I WON" and just like that they went back to the players, leaving me  flabbergasted. Momma giggled next to me "I'm guessin' he calls you Cocoa?" and I feel the blush on my face but our moment is ruined with Drew's raising voice "Forget what he calls you, who the fuck is he?"   as I turn to flick him of, there all three men in my life stands looking at me, waitin for an explanation but Momma comes to my rescue "Jake's a friend of Casey's and they had a bet on the game, he won. She knows him from university. Case closed, no more questions, leave the girl alone to fall in love." I giggle at the men in front of Momma, their faces paling at the mention of me fallin in love, Daddy and Drew follow her into the kitchen "Whoa missy you said friend, why jump to her fallin in love?"

I hear Daddy and Drew's bantering but Pop intervenes my thoughts "Well that's the first time you've ever responded to a boy of any sorts like that, so I'm takin' it you like him, just bring him home so I can tell him about our great castrating programme we have on the farm. Ya know, with the bulls not knowing their place..."

Before I could answer Pop my phone rings, and I answer as quickly as I could

"Hello?" I bite my lip at how nervous I sound, this isn't the first time you've spoken on the phone with a boy before Casey!!

"So Cocoa did you see your favourite colour?" Jake sounds huskier than ever and I feel as if I'm meltin'

"Well no I didn't see my favourite colour, but blue looks good on ya Blue" I giggle at him

"So I just called to claim my victory Cocoa, I'll be having you whole weekend next week."

Oh sweet potatoes I think I'm hyperventilatin' 

Well it's short but I think the content does it justice, let me know what you think please!*

Happy reading

~S/H