Chapter Twelve | The Warning

"Harmony" by Remedios Varo

The bells above the door jingled as Klaus stormed into the shop, his anger palpable. The shelves were lined with strange herbs, incense, and crystals, most of which were show for the tourists. Klaus's gaze narrowed on the two women by the counter, a mother and daughter.

"Klaus," the older woman said in surprise.

"Enough is enough," frustration seeped through his tone. "I demand answers, and I demand them now."

The women had heard about the vampire killings, and they knew that the vampires had begun harassing the witches.

"We don't know anything about those killings, Klaus," said the mother. "We have no business with the vampires."

"Do not take me for a fool, Yara!" he stepped towards the woman, towering over her. "It's clear that your kind is behind this. The only thing that witches do better than sticking their noses where they don't belong is telling each other about it. I know you've heard something."

Afraid for her mother, the daughter steps between them angrily.

"Leave her alone! We don't know anything," she insists.

Klaus turns his domineering gaze toward the girl, who couldn't be more than 15 years old.

"Savannah," Yara hisses toward her daughter, afraid of how Klaus might retaliate to someone showing resistance.

She tries to pull her daughter behind her, but Klaus is too quick. He grabs the young girl and wraps his arm around her neck, pulling tightly.

Savannah struggles with fear flashing her in her eyes, unable to speak.

"Klaus, please," Yara tries to reason. "I'll ask around. I'll find out what's going on. Don't hurt her."

The bell rings and they all turn to look at the new entrant.

"What the hell is going on?" the girl asks, eyes shooting between her mother and younger sister. She begins to move toward Savannah. "Let go of her!"

"Stay back, Naomi," Yara warns her older daughter.

Klaus's eyes drift back to the mother.

"If these murders do not stop, I promise you I will take matters into my own hands. And I assure you, you will not like the consequences."

With the final warning, he releases the young girl and storms past Naomi, out of the shop.